Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #1

Default Noobie to the MAX!!!

My family and I just purchased a brand new 28QD TT. We have never been around or in an RV and are looking for any good suggestions for purchasing necessities for on the road and camping. We have 2 girls a 3yr and 1yr old, we live in Colorado and were hoping to take our first trip for a long Mother's day weekend. What are the do and don't for the noob's? Should we boondock for the first trip? Excited for this summer is an under statement!!!!

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

Welcome "Dude", re: your Funfinder; you will find a wealth of information on this FF site. Ask freely. Lots of experience here.
The internet is full of information on everything related to RVs. Especially check out the YouTube videos. We learned a lot from bloggers like RVgeeks, willful wanderer, the fit RV, RV with Tito, etc. also, if you are on Facebook check out the groups RV Tips and RV Newbies.
There are also people who have made lists of things you should always take with you, and even phone apps.
The $$$ letting just began when you purchased your rig, believe me!!!
The most important thing is the safety of your family. Make sure your pull vehicle is matched correctly to your trailer. Only load the trailer with 80% of the allowed weight and go to a truck scale to make sure. Don't trust salesmen, they lie. Avoid Camping World if possible. Check your tire pressure frequently. Keep your speed down..most of us try to keep it at 65 or below.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
APD

Safety first!!
Check those tire pressures and those lug nuts!! Stop at a safe spot about 15 or 20 mins from home and check the lug nuts for proper torque!! Double check the hitch and walk around the trailer for a safety check.
My 2 cents.

Most other "disasters" can be chalked up as experience.....

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

Welcome! I would not boondock for a first trip -- stay in an RV park. Then graduate to a campground. Boondocking is fantastic, but it is not easy, especially for a newbie.

Soon enough, you will be an expert!

One more tip -- in a big parking lot, with a spotter, learn how to back up in a straight line. It is not easy at first.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

This article may be helpful to you.
What You Need To Purchase When You Buy a Camper/Travel Trailer - My Big Fat Happy Life
Old 05-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Welcome! I would not boondock for a first trip -- stay in an RV park. Then graduate to a campground. Boondocking is fantastic, but it is not easy, especially for a newbie.
+1.

And one that is close to home so you can run back and get stuff you forgot if need be.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
+1.

And one that is close to home so you can run back and get stuff you forgot if need be.
+2

And put together a nice assortment of tools to keep in the RV so you don't need to keep putting them in and taking them out.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

Default Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
+2

And put together a nice assortment of tools to keep in the RV so you don't need to keep putting them in and taking them out.
Tools are a must, like suggested make a kit and leave it in the trailer. I use a tool bag and keep the necessities with me at all times. Some other materials I always have are tarps, straps, Rope, Black Zip Ties, silicone, Duct Tape, 12 volt test light, non contact voltage tester for 110V, Spare automotive fuses, 2 part epoxy, Seal All, and Electrical tape just to name a few. If you like fixing things to keep it in great condition get a RV. LOL Silverado
Old 05-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #9

Welcome!!

Look the bathroom over real good especially the shower and tub if you have one. Look for places that water can leak into the side wall or out onto the floor and caulk them up.

++ Practice backing up and always use a spotter (watcher) (keen eyed wife) to yell loudly at you when to stop. Back up with the windows down so you can hear her.

Know your height clearance and beware of pulling into low hanging gas stations.

Dittos to all the comments in previous posts.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #10

Another suggestion is when leveling your trailer at your destination start side to side first with the tires using blocks. I sometimes will mark where the tires are and pull ahead and dig down on the high side to achieve level. It acts as a natural chock block as well. Level front to back with your front jack, now you can extend your stabilizer Jack's front and back. Do not lift the trailer with them. Finally you can push your slide out if applicable. Some times the slides are heavy enough to take your side to side level off depending on the trailer.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #11

Don't let all this advice scare you. Experience is the best teacher. Bad experience is the best of the best....that's when you say, "Boy, I'll never do that again" or "I'll never forget to take that again."

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote