Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Old guy in Missouri needs advice

As the title suggest, I would welcome any opinions good or bad. Wife and I are both retired, I from nearly 40 years in a dealership collision repair shop wife was a budget analyst. We are considering replacing our current TT, 2002 Jayco FB24. We both believe this will be our LAST RV. I have looked at both the Shadow Cruiser 225RBS and the Fun Finder215WSK. Any owners of either of these units ? If so, what are your likes and dislikes ? We want a unit that will give us reliable service long term. How do you view quality between these brands ? Thanks in advance for your help, Dave

Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #2

Dave, I am a loyal Fun Finder customer (we've owned two), but their units are not perfect -- a few folks have gotten lemons. I do not think that Fun Finders are inferior to other brands, but I do not think they are better built. I do think that the newer FF models are more well-insulated than the competitors' units.

The only brand that is famous for quality is Airstream -- and it'll cost you a bundle.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

Hi Dave,
I bought a 2008 CruiserRV FunFinder Xtra XT-190 Toy Hauler last year and for the most part, I have been content. This is my first Travel Trailer purchase and after previously building a custom Cargo Trailer designed for camping, I suppose I was expecting a much higher quality...

I was disappointed in a number of things from:

A lack of insulation in floor... A Midwest Trailer sold in Northern Minnesota should have been better built to handle colder weather; however, this is obviously warm weather trailer and I am planning to winterize the floor and plumbing.

One pet peeve is that the plumbing could have been routed much better and better access to drain and bypass valves... This would have greatly facilitated winterizing and readying for summer use.

The interior walls lack screw strength and or lack studs to facilitate adding things as simple as towel racks and clothes hooks in the head.

There are other things that could have been better... However, with all that said, I purchased the trailer knowing these shortcomings and my wife and I have enjoyed the trailer. We have close to 9,000 miles on the trailer since it's purchase in early spring of 2015. It tows like a champ, even when loaded with a 600 lb. ATV, gear, and the water tank full. I am doing small upgrades as needed and plan to keep the trailer.

If I were to purchase a trailer new, I would skip any dealership sales and go straight to the manufacturer... There are several manufacturers that deal directly with the end buyer and will build to suit the buyer's needs/wants. Now, before anyone throws rocks at me, this is my opinion and if you want something different than seen at the dealer, you need to go up the ladder; bear in mind that cost may well go up...

For example, my cargo trailer was just under $3,000 before my special requests that took it up another $1,500, but I got what I wanted, from windows to insulation, to 3/8" plywood interior walls, to dual ceiling vents with fans, to additional bracing, RV door and screen door... and the lists on. I then added an awning, built a galley, added 120 vac, propane, a 12 vdc battery, shelving, and other stuff. NOW, with all that, I HAVE MORE INTO THE TRAILER THAN I CAN GET OUT OF IT. So the decisions are sometimes difficult to make...

Good luck with your purchase AND HAVE FUN!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Look CT RT Side - 600.jpg   Look CT LFT Side - 600.jpg   Look CT Inside With Only 1 Bunk Setup - 600.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

John C ~ interesting project there with the single axle cargo trailer conversion. That is one of those things that when built to your specifications w/modifications desired, one should never expect to get your money back ... much like rebuilding a 1960's muscle car. YOU do it because it's what YOU want and enjoy for what it is.
;_0
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
John C ~ interesting project there with the single axle cargo trailer conversion. That is one of those things that when built to your specifications w/modifications desired, one should never expect to get your money back ... much like rebuilding a 1960's muscle car. YOU do it because it's what YOU want and enjoy for what it is.
;_0
Absolutely Eagle,
I built the little (6' x 10 x 6-1/2' Inside height) specifically for prospecting in the boonies and when the axle is flipped, the trailer to ground clearance is 24".

However, I was actually trying to make a point that when buying, buy what you want within a budget... check it out (either new or used) and make a decision to buy or not. I also ordered the CT trailer with considerable changes, including moving the door to allow for a full length bunk. In recent article posted in Trailer Life, the author named several trailer manufacturers that will try to build what the customer wants...

In my FF, I felt like I was looking for Easter Eggs when trying to iron out the water system... while doing this I kept thinking how easy it would have been to place all the water valves in one location; in my case, inside the outer storage compartment would be great as it is located conveniently.

MY PERSONAL FEELINGS --- I like my trailer, but as many FF owners know, there are a number of things that could have and, I believe, should have been built better... AND if I was going to spend money to buy a NEW trailer, I would want input on what, where, and how. But you see I chose to purchase a used trailer that is solid and functionally okay for a VACATION trailer. It was a whole bunch cheaper that a new and serves my purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Off-Road Congress Camp - 600.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice, I really do appreciate it. Now waiting on the dealership to see what kind of trade we can do. Speaking of building cars, I have built several hot rods and custom cars. Yes, you need to love what you do and never look at it as an "investment". Sorry to say I have either gotten burned out or just lost the fire in my belly. I have owned our current hot rod, 1947 Pontiac Streamliner, for almost 20 years and although I've done a few things, 30 years ago I would have had it laying in pieces by the 3rd month of ownership and already looking forming a vision of the final product. Well, sucks to be old !!!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

This is probably too late for your request but...

I have owned a Shadow Cruiser 225RBS for almost two years. It is a 2015 model. I really like the layout. The build quality is good, not great. They have added some desired features in the newer models such black water tank flush, three step entry, LED lights, LED, heated utility area under the trailer, and outside light strip. I really like the way the trailer pulls, the location of the raised counter on the end of the cooking area, the overall height of the trailer, the set up of the shower with glass doors, and the amount of interior storage. I am not happy with the ineffective seal around the slide out, the fact that self tapping screws in the aluminum frame have stripped out causing leaks and potential leaks (got fixed in time), the lack of a 12 volt plug-in, and the noisy air conditioner/heating system.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

N&K, Thank you for your honest insight and you are certainly not too late. It may be awhile before we actually do anything. The thing I really like about the 225RBS is the total floorplan and the number of storage cabinets. Something that I wonder about is how can you mount a towel bar or toilet paper holder in the bathroom ? I have also looked at a Fun Finder 214WSD, I think that is the number, that looks like a fabulous floorplan but the dealership I have been dealing with does not have that model. They are a small family owned dealership and seem very honest. They are supposed to call with a trade estimate so we will see what that brings. Thanks again for your time and reply, I appreciate it, Dave
Old 04-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #9

Regarding mounting the towel holder and the TP holder, here is what I did. The towel holder was a "over the top of the door" style. I cut the part off that "goes over the top" so what I had left is what you see here.
I think I got that at camping world.

The TP holder came from Lowes or home depot, and as you see, it's on the inside if the vanity door.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #10

I mounted a standard house TP holder in the bath using the same method one would use in a house when mounting it to wall board/sheet rock. Drill the small mounting holes and insert the little plastic expanding thingys, then run in the screws. It's held just fine.
As for towel holders, we use the shower curtain bar...and two 'coat hooks' screwed to the bathroom door.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:14 PM   #11
N&K

For a towel rack, we found a rack that hooks over the door. It holds three full size towels and wash cloths. I re-bent the hooks so they fit the depth of the door. Double sided tape keeps it from moving around. The toilet paper holder is a normal holder that screws into the wall except I used double side tape cut to size to stick the fixture onto the wall next to the toilet.

Both of these solutions were first thought to be temporary, but since they have worked for almost two years without problem, I left them. I thought hot days might loosen the double sided tape but it has lasted through 95 - 105 degree temperatures for a week or two in a closed up trailer.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&K View Post
For a towel rack, we found a rack that hooks over the door. It holds three full size towels and wash cloths. I re-bent the hooks so they fit the depth of the door. Double sided tape keeps it from moving around. The toilet paper holder is a normal holder that screws into the wall except I used double side tape cut to size to stick the fixture onto the wall next to the toilet.

Both of these solutions were first thought to be temporary, but since they have worked for almost two years without problem, I left them. I thought hot days might loosen the double sided tape but it has lasted through 95 - 105 degree temperatures for a week or two in a closed up trailer.
3M double sided tape is used extensively in the auto industry to secure body trim parts on vehicles ~ things like plastic/chrome wheel well mouldings, mfg emblems, chrome covers for door handles/mirrors, and elsewhere...both by the factories, dealerships and 'after market' industry. It will survive the elements quite well.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

The only trick with double sided tape is how to get the backing off!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

I can remember the days of the white foam double sided tape. NOT good. Thanks to everyone that has replied in this thread, it is appreciated. I don't know if the dealership doesn't want to sell us a new TT or what but, I last spoke to them on Friday they took some information and said they would call me back. Well end of business day Tuesday and not a word. Perhaps another dealer wants my business ? Thanks again, Dave
Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #15

The over the door towel rack that N&K describe, sounds exactly like the one I have ( in picture in my above post ). I thought about using it over the door, but then decided I'd rather have it on the wall itself in the bathroom, so I did the mod I described.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
The only trick with double sided tape is how to get the backing off!
For any sticky residue, a product called Goo Gone does an excellent job.

It can be found a most box stores like Walmart, farm & home stores and places like Home Depot, grocery stores, etc.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #17

Just an update, made the deal for our 2016 Shadow Cruiser 225rbs today. Won't pick it up till next week but we are excited !!! I was satisfied with the price the dealer gave us so, for me, it was a fine deal. Hope to make some friends and have some fun and learn a lot on this sight. Kruz ez, Dave
Old 04-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
Just an update, made the deal for our 2016 Shadow Cruiser 225rbs today. Won't pick it up till next week but we are excited !!! I was satisfied with the price the dealer gave us so, for me, it was a fine deal. Hope to make some friends and have some fun and learn a lot on this sight. Kruz ez, Dave

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Be sure to check everything out when doing the walk thru when you pickup the unit. And ask questions too.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #19
N&K

Lolead,

Hope your new trailer plays nice. There are a lot of things to like about it. I look forward to seeing what kinds of things you do to it to make your own, and I'd be happy to compare notes and share opinions with you about the model you bought.

Norm
Old 04-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #20

Thanks N&K, Hope I don't run members here crazy with my newby questions. We looked at a LOT of brands and trailers. We are coming from a Jayco and we liked that brand but the only model that suited us was TOO big and too much money for us. I have gone back and forth on the laminate construction. I have read of so many horror stories of delamination and what we want is a trailer that should, with proper maintainance, stay with us for the long term. At my age I can't afford to be a test subject. Also hoping that buying with a slide out was a wise decision. Time will tell. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome I have received here. The only thing I know much about is automotive collision repair and automotive painting. Might know a little about building hot rods and custom cars but that is the extent of my knowledge, so if you need a little advice, please ask. I do have LOTS of opinions !!!LOL!!