Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #1

Default our new to shadow cruiser.

Well, let me introduce my self a bit here, I'am from Central Alberta Canada, my name is Menno, and have a beautyfull wife and a chocolate lab.

We just did the downsizing thing went from a 26' flagstaff fifthwheel coupled to a 03 GMC crewcab with a thirsty 6 L engine, which we sold and in return we got a 08Jeep grand Cherokee with a 3.0L Diesel coupled to a 2010 Shadowcruiser 195WBS.

We just purchased the Shadow cruiser 3 days ago so we haven't even taken it on a maiden voyage yet.
The trailer is used and got it from an older couple and due to health reasons were unable to use it.We had been searching for some time and to find used smaller trailers are hard to come by and we didn't want a brand new one with payments , so the shadow cruiser fit our bill. we like the layout and the features it has.

One thing that did disapoint me was that I was looking for the DSI hot water tank switch all over the place but could find one , so lone and behold it still has the old fashioned pilot style hot water heater, (thought that all new trailers now a days would come with DSI heater) But I can live with that.

last night I hooked up to our jeep GC (former owner deliverd it to my house) The water tank was still full and I took it on the freeway, and over a big hill, boy was I surprised how well the jeep pulled that trailer up the hill, 120Km/Hr no problem so I think all and all this will be a good fit. and hope fully all the bad kinks have been worked out by the former owner, cause when I read some of the other posts on here from some other members it doesn't sound good.
but when I read on other RV forums there are some big expensive RV's on there that have big issues as well so, i keep thinking it is not just cruiser RV.

Our flagstaff had issues as well, where the exterior screws kept on ratteling out, or the water tank fill hose disconected from the water tank and one would have to remove the whole enclosed under belly to get to it.

So all Rv's have their quirks.

I hope to share stories, reapairs, and issues on this forum.

Menno.

Central Alberta Canada.[/img]

jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Menno,

Hi and welcome. That has the identical layout of my 210WBS and we love ours. The walkaround bed means you don't have to take turns getting in/out of bed. The slide adds quite a bit of room too.

I'm thinking the biggest issues/problems came from the 2011 MY units. Not sure if there were design changes or maybe they hired a bunch of inexperienced labor but a couple of posters ended up with some really poorly assembled units compounded by really poor dealer support.

I'm very pleased my unit and it's been trouble free. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
M&M

Hi LJAZ,

I see you are towing a 210WBS with a 2011 Siverado. We aslo have that model camper and are looking at buying a 2011 Siverado also. How does the Silverado work? Does it have plenty of power? What about gas mileage?

Thanks,

M&M
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Site Team

M&M.

We love the Silverado. Of course depending on how it's equipped the tow rating ranges anywhere from around 5000 lbs to over 10000. We have the 4X4 crew cab with 5.3L V8, tow package & 6 speed transmission with tow/haul setting that's max rated at 9500 lbs. Pulling the X210 is piece of cake really, there's plenty of power to spare. It did not come with the integrated brake controller, which I thought was odd, because it had all the other towing amenities, but installing a brake controller was no big deal. If you have the option though I'd recommend it because the placement is much better. If you need to activate the brake controller it's right there on the dash with easy access. The only good place to mount an aftermarket one is beneath the dash which is a bit harder to get to quickly.

It also came with the backup camera, which at first I didn't think was going to be all that useful, but it sure is nice when hooking up.

As for mileage, it does pretty well (for a V8 ) with the 6 speed tranny something like 22 on the highway and 15/16 or so around town. But it's still a full sized truck with a V8. I haven't really done the math while towing, but I doubt it's anything earth shattering. Maybe marginally better than I got with my 99 Tahoe.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
M&M

Default 2011 Silverado

LJAZ

Thanks for the reply.

We are puling now with a 1999 K-1500 with the 5.7 engine. This very similiar to your 1999 Tahoe. Does the Silverado have more power than your Tahoe did?

We are planning a trip West through the mountains next year, so power is an issue, but so is fuel economy.

What type of mirrors are you using?

Thanks again

M&M
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Site Team

M & M

It sure feels as if it has more power. Although the Tahoe was quite capable I'm not sure it's even a fair comparison. The Tahoe had a 5.7L engine w/3.73 rear axle, 16 inch wheels and 3 speed transmission. The Silverado has a smaller 5.3L engine w/3.42 rear axle, 18 inch wheels and 6 speed transmission so I think it's more accurate to say it makes better use of the power it has. At any rate it pulls the 210 very easily, you won't have any problem in the hills at all. You will likely see an improvement in fuel economy over your 1999 as well, although I don't think it will be dramatic, maybe an additional mile per gallon or so.

I just use the stock mirrors. I've thought about adding a set of custom fit clamp on mirrors like Cipa's but haven't decided if it's worth the $75 or so.