Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Default Trying to buy FF or SC--good deals?

We are trying to buy a Fun Finder or Shadow Cruiser. We have found a NEW 2009 FF X189FBS and a NEW 2010 Shadow Cruiser S-185FBR that apper to be good buys--both are fully loaded and can be had for less than $15,000. We really like the slide on the FF, but it weighs about 300# more than the non-slide Shadow Cruiser. We will be towing with a 2010 Nissan Frontier 4.0 L V-6. Any comments you would have about these two models, the tow vehicle we will be using, and what a really good price would be is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any advice!

mcwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Team

I highly recommend the slide. It gives you so much more room.

As for the towing part check to find out what your actual towing capabilities are. Trailer Life magazine has good charts you can download. Don't forget to include the weight of all your passengers and gear when figuring how much you will be towing. The manufacturer's stated weights don't include the weight of propane, batteries, water, and accessories like the AC & awnings so you need to take those into account also.

If the towed weight is so close to the limit that 300 lbs makes a difference I personally would look for a lighter trailer or larger tow vehicle.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

We purchased our first trailer last year...a 2010 210wbs.
The slide really does make a big difference when you are inside the trailer.

We pull our FF with a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. The stated tow limit is 5,000, the dry weight of the FF is about 3,800. I've never run the trailer over a scale, but I would bet that we are approaching the 5,000 loaded and on the road.

So far we really like the FF and look forward to more trips this summer.
Honda Ridgeline
bobandmuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #4

Late reply, I just recently joined, but in case you're still in the market buy the FBS model, there is no comparison how much more room you have with the slide out.
I also tow with a 2007 Nissan Frontier CC 4X4. I currently own a 2010 Shadow Cruiser 18fbs. Frontier is more than capable to handle the extra 300lbs that you were concerned with. See my other posts, I have pictures posted where it shows additional modifications I have done to the trailer adding more weight and the truck handled it fine.
Infact the trip with my Yamaha YFZ 450 in the back I have posted the best average MPG....strange but true.
By the way I paid $16,000.00 for it
Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #5

Good Morning MyFrontier
Our X210WBS is the one with the slide out, and you are correct it does make a big difference. BUT...on our first trip out this year the weather was cold and wet, we spent a lot more time in the trailer and we've determined that we need more room. So we will be selling our beloved Ridgeline and the X210.
Where in Washington are you?

Have a great day.

Bob
Honda Ridgeline
bobandmuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #6

Vancouver, WA......considered part of Portland metro area.

Not to be rude.....I was answering the thread started by mcwilli