Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #1

Default 05 t139 power

Hey all, I have been looking for a small camper to ski around with this winter and i finally found this little camper for a sweet deal because the guy didnt want to store it for the winter.

I have been looking for a while and trying to learn as much about batteries as none of these ski parking lots are going to have power and its going to be cold and i will have to use the furnace off batteries.

What i have figured so far is i am going to get 2 6v batteries so i have around 175ah. i also already have a 2000w inverter generator which i plan to be recharging with.

This older unit is hard to figure out exactly whats what spec wise within the electrical system because i dont have a manual and cant find one. Does anyone know if the factory converter is going to over charge my batteries with the generator plugged into the side of the rig? Also can i put some kind of charge controller like a solar setup would use between the converter and the batteries as added protection since these batteries are expensive?

thanks, Dave

stavey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

The converter is probably the stock WFCO item. It's adequate -- better converters are available but are not cheap. The converter will not hurt your batteries, but a better one might charge faster.

The big problem is a lack of insulation on the early 139 models. (I speak from experience.) I love cold weather, but I would not try to stay the winter in an older 139 in snow country. A few days is fun. A few months would be torture. Also, the outflow tube from the water tank is going to freeze -- no easy way to protect it.

Good luck!!

Old 10-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #3

I should add that the old 139s were insulated, but not very well. I assume that your unit has an aluminum skin, right? If so, and if you undo a couple of the screws, you will see ordinary pink fiberglass stuffed into the spaces between the studs.

By contrast, the newer X-139s have thick styrofoam bonded to a fiberglass skin. This has a much higher R value. Having had both types of trailers, I can tell you that the newer ones are much warmer.

Having said that, let's not lose sight of the fact that you now own a rare commodity -- the old 139s were surprisingly sturdy. So are the fiberglass units, but they are not nearly as "retro cool" as the oldies. I'm assuming that you got a smokin' hot deal on the trailer!

And note that there are almost no comparable models currently being manufactured anywhere, by any company. This is unfortunate -- what am I going to do when (not "if") I wear out my 2012 X-139??

Anyway, welcome to the club, and keep asking questions!!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
And note that there are almost no comparable models currently being manufactured anywhere, by any company. This is unfortunate -- what am I going to do when (not "if") I wear out my 2012 X-139??
I'm in kind of the same boat with the toy hauler. The newer campers are taller, wider, heavier, and not as well made.

X-139 folks may be able to do the "stealth" trick by converting a well-made 14x8 or 16x8 (think of all the extra space!) aluminum sled trailer. It's a whole lot of work but very satisfying.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #5

A 6V deep cycle flooded battery is indeed around 200 A-Hr but you would need to derate it for low temperature. The 12V fan in the trailer's furnace consumes a lot of power. Is there a catalytic propane heater which might be more efficient?
Old 11-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFunFinder View Post
A 6V deep cycle flooded battery is indeed around 200 A-Hr but you would need to derate it for low temperature. The 12V fan in the trailer's furnace consumes a lot of power. Is there a catalytic propane heater which might be more efficient?
I know from experience that the furnace fan will kill a battery in two days. I have an old kerosene heater I rebuilt to use in the winter. No Fan to run down my battery and at 10,000 BTU it will puts
out plenty of heat.

You can also try a buddy Hester. I have also seen a "chimney" thing that goes over a gas stove the makes it a heater. Make sure you have ventilation to keep fresh air and prevent moisture from building up.

https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Heate.../dp/B0768H9BJQ

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote