Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #1

Default 110V hot water heater burnout

I guess you are just not a seasoned RV person unless you have burned out at least one element in a hot water heater. I inadvertently left the switch located inside the access door to the hot water heater in the "on" position. I was filling the water system back up after it had been drained for winter. The hot water tank was filling at the time and I plugged my power cord to a 30 amp power source. The hot water element burned out instantly even tho the hot water tank was partially full. I had no idea they were so "water sensitive", but know now. Apparently unless the element is totally immersed in water it will burn out. So, $150.00 later..............just a word to the wise. I used to leave the outside ll0V switch on for convenience so I had hot water shortly after I was plugged in. Not a good idea!!!!!

flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Van

Ouch!

Well,here is to hoping it only happens once, eh? This is something i am extra careful about. I have made turning the switch to off position part of my pre-departure ritual. Before that trailer leaves a spot behind my truck, that switch is off. Even when the tank is full and will stay that way for months. lol

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #3

Default Hot Water Tank

Hi Van,

Yep, that little task is know included in my checklist. My mech recommended that you also turn off the circuit breaker inside the trailer to make double sure it does not happen. I am electing to sear into my brain and list that the switch goes in the off position as soon as I unplug from power.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #4

ive cooked at least two!
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #5

I burned a hole in my trailer cover by leaving the water heater on in gas mode. Luckily, I remembered to turn off the gas so it used only what was in the line. Otherwise, I would have been toasting marchmallows with my FF. I ALWAYS check the water heater now!!
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote