Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Default 189 Owners; what did you replace your stock bed with?

We are heading out on a 3 week trip at the end of July and I don't like the thought of sleeping on the stock bed. Thought it was okay at first, but now I wake up with back aches. Since we have a regular queen size, for those that have replaced this bed, what did you replace it with?

bruce3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #2

Default Memory foam

We took out the stock low density foam and replaced it with high density memory foam -- an upholsterer did the job. Not cheap, but necessary. And on top of that, we also use a thin memory foam pad from Costco.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #3

Default Re: Memory foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
We took out the stock low density foam and replaced it with high density memory foam -- an upholsterer did the job. Not cheap, but necessary. And on top of that, we also use a thin memory foam pad from Costco.
We looked at a local store that makes beds. Of course I am concerned about weight as there is already a over 400 lbs of tongue weight in the FDS models. They use a synthetic latex in many of there beds and it feels great, but this bed would cost $1000. It's comfortable, lightweight, but man o man. If we ended up upgrading at any point in the future to a model where the bed turns into a short queen, 60 x 74, they would just shorten it then for just cost of any materials, if any, labor is free. I have to confess this new synthetic latex they use is pretty sweet material.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #4

Default A grand?

A thousand seems really high -- you can get a new Tempurpedic for a little more than that. I think it cost us around 300 dollars, two years ago.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

We replaced our 60x80 queen with a 5" memory foam mattress from Walmart. I think it was less than $300 and what a difference from the stock spring piece of ........... Nice and light. Had have some pretty good sleeps on it.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #6

Default Re: A grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
A thousand seems really high -- you can get a new Tempurpedic for a little more than that. I think it cost us around 300 dollars, two years ago.
We are not going to pay that. That mattress is a great mattress for your house. I found all sort of nice 8" memory form mattresses for 250 to 350. That sounds way better.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #7

I'm in the same boat for a mattresses. I tossed the one that came with my camper (camper was used and the mattress looked/felt very well broken in....). So I'm in the market for a new mattress once I finish up my rebuild. Was thinking about getting a smaller version of my mattress at home so I know I will be comfortable but its very expensive so idk if i want to drop that much cash. Used my futon mattress last year for one trip and It was pretty nice so that is an option also.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #8

Default ADDED FOAM

I added a foam "skin" under the mattress for our long trip, really helped the cheap mattress they put in the camper.
"Skins" are the first cut they take off a big block of foam at your local foam supply store, to get to the good foam, and they usually cut them thick enough to sell for $20 bucks or so.
LINERGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #9

I threw away stock mattress the day I got the camper come. I ordered a 5 1/2 inch memory foam mattress from Mattress Insider (www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress.html) for about $360. I did the same for my previous camper and was happy with it. Of course my old one was the wrong size.

A topper wouldn't help mine, it was just too soft.
2011Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #10

A foam topper or mattress may be OK for some but I find they hold body heat and are hot to sleep on. Nephew got rid of his temperpedic after 3 months because it was hot to sleep on.

After one night out we found the factory mattress horrible. We tried a memory foam topper and that was zero improvement.

We replaced the 'short queen' factory piece of junk mattress and memory foam topper with a standard queen size Simmons Beautyrest. It is very comfortable and the right switch for us. The extra few inches the standard queen size overhangs the end of the bed is no problem either.