Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 05:30 PM   #1

Default 189FBS Forward bunk

Has anyone actually used the fold down forward bunk on a 189FBS? I would be scared to put my 7 year old grand daughter up there! The construction is so flimsy, when she sits in the middle of the lowered front it bows down and everything creaks like its about to fall apart. We would like to use more as a bunk but afraid the whole thing would just collapse. Anyone out there done any mods to make this a truly safe bunk that can actual be used to say support a adult?

whatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #2

We found that the bunk was more of a hassle than a benefit -- so we took it out and installed a cargo net to hold our bedding. See the first entry in this blog post:

https://lookmomimcamping.blogspot.co...and-light.html

I'm not sure there is a way to make that bunk safe for anyone bigger than a thin child.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatme View Post
Has anyone actually used the fold down forward bunk on a 189FBS? I would be scared to put my 7 year old grand daughter up there! The construction is so flimsy, when she sits in the middle of the lowered front it bows down and everything creaks like its about to fall apart. We would like to use more as a bunk but afraid the whole thing would just collapse. Anyone out there done any mods to make this a truly safe bunk that can actual be used to say support a adult?
We used it for several years for our young kids without any problems. We stopped once the kids hit about 60lbs - I certainly wouldn’t trust the 150lb rating Cruiser puts on it.

I did a couple of upgrades to it. I updated the end faster of the side metal support. I wanted a more positive connection to the metal stud in the wall.

I also installed a closet rod above the outer edge to use as a safety rail so the kids didn’t risk rolling off. And it also give us a place to hang things during the day when the bunk is folded.
Agnitio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #4

You could try to reinforce it with angle iron steel running from one wall bracket to the other one.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #5

My Grandson use it till he was 120lbs or so, the last time we used it I made sure I told him no bouncing around. We had no problems but with the cheap way Fun Finders are made we were probably luckey.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatme View Post
Has anyone actually used the fold down forward bunk on a 189FBS?
In my 2007 x160, the weight rate is 210lbs. My daughter loved sleeping up there (the last time, she was 90lbs).

I tried it myself to be sure it was safe for her and for me (I sleep under the bunk).

qcCamper is offline   Reply With Quote