Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Default 189fbs shower sky light

I would like to get rid of the sky light and just cap it. I have found no 18 x 18 vent covers. There are plenty 14 x 14 vent covers. Any suggestions? I could just fabricate an aluminum plate.Thanks

dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #2

Why not just paint over it with black paint or whatever color you like?

Old 11-08-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

Going to put a solar panel there. Maybe. Apparently, this is the only 18 x 18 roof opening in the history of travel trailers.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
APD

Frame it in, add insulation, roof patch over the top and cover or paint the inside. If you leave the opening and replace just the skylight you could have condensation problems.
My 2 cents.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #5

And a good two cents it is. Thanks for the reply. I really need somebody that does this sort of thing. Another option is get brackets high enough to put the solar panel over the top of the sky light and leave the sky light alone. Lets close this thread. I have enough to work with and I dont know what I am doing. I will start a new thread when I install my (very small) wood burning stove. Yeeeee Haaaaaaa
Old 11-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #6

My 189FBR came with an extra skylight cover in the box. Icon brand p/n 01818, Skylight, SL1414C, Clear. Description says flange size is 18 x 18, and dome size is 14 x 14 x 4. Clear polycarbonate.
I have not replaced the original because, well, let sleeping dogs lie, and the sealer over the edges, and screws is intact.
Not offering to sell it, just saying they are available.
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

I suggest you consider a portable solar panel, unless you usually camp in the sun. I try to put my camper in the shade of trees so it stays cooler, so I use a portable solar panel with a long cable which lets me position it in the sun.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #8

Hi,
I added (2) 2'x4' solar panels and placed them on the front of the roof away from the back area as there is just too much going on in that area. To me the solar works great on the Fun Finders. Also, I am thinking of removing the bubble over the shower and adding a crankable roof vent (possibly plexiglass. Still looking at options as to me there is never enough natural light in the small areas of the RV.
Bill
wnyhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #9

I would not be able to stand in my shower if it wasn't for the slylight.

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote