Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #1

Default 2007 x160 rear hitch question

Hello, I have an x160 and someone bolted a hitch to the rear bumper. When I try using a cargo tray, it's very flimsy and flexes the rear bumper. Has anybody successfully modified the rear bumper or reinforced it to allow for it to carry some weight? Ideally I'd like to carry a very small motorcycle or scooter on there, less than 200lbs.

FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:14 PM   #2

You'll need to beef up the whole thing with 2 x 2 steel tubing welded to the chassis. Otherwise, it will flex and will eventually break.

I decided not to do this same project because it would have impaired my rear ground clearance.

Old 02-26-2023, 12:56 PM   #3

Default Rear cargo

It is not recommended to haul anything on the rear of a camper trailer. The bouncing will be torture on a rear hitch and any item carried there. Also 200 pounds back there may lighten the tongue weight which may not be good. I had to have a failed frame cross member and main frame stress cracks welded and reinforced on my 2010 Shadow Cruiser 185FBS. I believe in striving to save weight wherever possible, trailer manufacturers have made the steel frame with too light a metal thickness. So welding reinforcements to carry 200 lbs on the rear just might cause stress cracks elsewhere!
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:41 PM   #4

I am in agreement with Marmot & the Prof —

However, like Marmot sez — even if you beef up the hitch to the framework of the trailer — it will not be a secure arrangement — long term, or over rough or even bumpy freeways.

There is too much risk as well as liability when attaching something to the rear of your trailer.

At that rear point on the TT — all movements are multiplied force.

Frame will not hold up.

Yes, you can put a camera back there — but when something bad happens — it is already too late.

Anything we want to haul, we put in the truck bed, behind the cab — this is best for weight distribution. Generator, tools, bikes, gas, etc.. locked and secure.

If your tow vehicle is an SUV — your options are more limited — but there is always a way.

The worry, liability, and expense of something coming loose where I can’t see it until too late — is not a place I am willing to go.

The only thing on the back of our 189FBS — is a PVC square tube that I keep our sewer drain hose in.

Just my opinions.

Best Always,

Fred
foakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #5
APD

Foakes said the magic word.....Liability.

Factory installed hitches, bike mounts, etc remove the liability from you.
Any modification you do yourself should be eyed with the idea that if things go south how bad can it be and who could be at fault. If you lose that small scooter on the highway, and someone gets hurt or worse, what would be the outcome.
Then again you may feel confident in your fabrication and installation skills and feel the risk is minimal.
Canada, for instance, has laws against DIY hitches.....or even selling/installing a used hitch/receiver.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 05:55 PM   #6

APD is exactly right, with one caveat. Even if there is a factory mount, any accident caused by falling equipment will give rise to litigation. The plaintiff will probably sue both the manufacturer and the trailer owner, on the theory that the owner may have overloaded the mount.

The good news is that if there is a factory mount that has failed, you (as the owner) will at least have a solvent co-defendant (the factory) with its own insurance policy. That will make it much more likely that there will be a "deep pocket" to fund a settlement.

If you are really lucky, your insurance company will contribute the policy limit to that settlement, thus avoiding any personal liability on your part.

Tort litigation is one of the few things on earth that are simultaneously scary and boring.