Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Default 2009 FF 160x elec. jacks not working, etc. and etc.

Well, after 6 years of moderate use, my 160x is starting to cause me headaches.

The latest problem happened after driving 6 hours to San Onofre. In setting up the trailer, 3 of the 4 electrical stabilizer jacks did not work! On two there was a click or two but no movement, on the other one it seemed dead as a doornail.
I had bought a cheap drill for this possibility, so I popped the cap and put the drill on the nut. It turned and turned, but nothing happened. Then the nut popped off. I noticed that the shaft was smooth and so was the inside of the nut. How in the hell was this supposed to work when the nut spun on the shaft? I finally moved the drill slightly off center and was able to get two of the jacks down through friction only on the shaft.. The other one would not move.

Now I have decided to just buy new manual jacks and not risk the electrical jacks anymore. Anyone have any ideas on which jacks would fit on my 160X?
Or should I consider fixing the elec. jacks? Thanks!

donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Personally, I'd switch to manual jacks. Just one less thing to go wrong. If it were me I'd opt for a set of scissor jacks which are the most stable. Bal Industries makes them, and they have the dimensions on their website. There are other manufacturers as well.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

When I special ordered my unit, I inquired about the electric stabilizer jacks and the dealer didn't seem "excited" about them so passed on the option and stuck with the standard manual stabilizer jacks.

I believe it was the correct decision from everything I've read here and other forums. Besides, the Dewalt 18 volt drill to run the manual stabilizers is useful elsewhere too.

I'd advise you to replace the electric with manual as LJAZ mentioned.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #4

Default thanks! will buy manual jacks

thanks to all who replied. I have decided to buy manual jacks, went to BAL website, found suitable jacks. I was surprised to see that each jack costs $85 on Amazon. The would be $340 for all four!
Can anyone tell me why I can't just leave the old power jacks in place and use cheap $25 scissor jacks from AutoZone ? Of course, I would use pieces of 2X6 wood underneath both ends to provide more stability. Comments?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Team

You could. Might be a pain though. Also I believe that that $85 is for a pair of jacks not per each. You might want to surf the net as well as there are other brands and pricing is all over the map.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #6

Default I'm going with manual jacks

Ok, I can buy 4 manual scissor jacks for around $100 on eBay. I'll either remove the electrical jacks and install them, or be lazy and just carry the jacks with me and use wood over and under the broken electrical jacks with the manual jacks. Oh, I hate these kinds of problems!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

Hi Don & Kris,
I would definitely go with the manual and an electric drill... Here are just 2 adds I down loaded from the web... I order off the web, BUT I like looking and holding most things before buying ... These are just to give you ideas of what is out there...
Here is one add for 2 jacks from Camping World, and
Another add for 4 jacks from Amazon.com

Good luck with which way you go (elec or manual) ... I use the manual stab jacks on my FF and made up a socket adapter for my electric (battery) drill and can drop these in just a couple of minutes; easy-peasy ... Remember that these are STABILIZER jacks and not levelers... Level with blocks under the tires and the tongue jack, then stabilize with the Stab Jacks...

Good luck and hope to see you on the trial sometime...
Attached Thumbnails
Stab Jacks.gif   Stab Jacks - Amazon.gif  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

After my first camping trip in the back country, I got rid of the electric jacks and put on manual jacks.
seismo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #9

John C. Thanks so much for the info, its very helpful. I will buy stabilizer jacks and install them in place of the current electric jacks. I hope that the holes will line up.