Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

Default 2009 X189FBR removing probes

Folks,
Does anyone know if the probes on the black tank can be removed for cleaning? My tank shows full and I know it is empty. I have sprayed inside the best I can even with those spraying hose attachments.
I am hoping I can just remove and clean.
Thank you.

Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #2

I once had the same issue ...tank showed half full when it was empty.

It was discovered the wires that attached to the probes on the outside of the tank had loosened and were not making proper contact.

I simply tightened the screws that fasten the wires and then the readings were accurate again.

Suggest you check that first and see if the issue is resolved.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

The other common cause can be debris like dried up toilet paper stuck onto the sensors inside the tank.
After you check the wiring as suggested by Eagle, there's an old trick many recommend, although I haven't had to try it myself, it sounds like it would.

After dumping thoroughly, fill up your tank with plain water, maybe about 2/3 then pour in a bag or two of party ice (small cubes). Do this just before a trip of at least a few hours. Advocates say all the bouncing and jostling of the water in the tanks tosses the cubes around enough, before they melt, to knock most or all of anything hanging around on the sensors.

Personally, I never rely on the sensors for the black tank, unreliable at the best of times. I can tell by looking down in through the toilet when its time to dump! Also I get a certain "sense" its time when a certain smell starts to become more prevalent when its time!!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

I've done a lot of reading and viewing about the issue you bring up because my gauge reads full consistently lately. The only solution I've found is filling and rinsing the black tank three times in a row. This takes time and is wasting a lot of water. I haven't tried the ice cubes yet but have read that it is not consistently successful.

My sensors are molded into the tank so they can't be taken out to clean or replace. I am considering drilling new holes and replacing the sensors with Horst Miracle Probes. They are longer with a guard to protect the sensors. This project is not a priority for now because I have a pretty good idea of how long it takes to fill the black tank with just two of us using it.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

I have a 2013 189fDS and the probes are not removalble, they are molded in. They sell all kinds of tank additives that are marketed to accelerate breakdown of waste. Might try filling the tank and adding one and letting it sit for a week. You might also consider some of the enzime treaments designed for septic systems
Agnitio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Mine work sometimes after dumping and doing a thorough cleaning, but I quit trusting then about the first time out. The toilet sets over the black tank in my trailer, and when the toilet flapper is open, a quick look confirms tank fill status. After a few trips, it is not too difficult guess the status of either the grey or black tanks based on usage. Remember, water is your best friend here and don't skimp on the tank cleaning solution.

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
APD

The probes on some holding tanks are actually drilled into place. They're made to be spun in a drill and pressed against the tank. Friction from the spinning causes the tank to melt partially and then the drill is detached leaving the probe in place as the tank cools/hardens. A dealer can replace them in much the same way.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

We had a problem with our tank after we bought our funfinder. Someone told us to fill with 5 gallons of water, one of our tablets and 1 capful of calgon water softener. This worked like a charm for us and we never had another problem. Just let it set. Next time out it cleared all the way out.
Cynsew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

I have the same problem. Its full all the time whether it is empty or not.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote