Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #1

Default 2012 XT276 replacement axle

Hi all,

I just noticed that the front axle of my 2012 XT276 seems to be bent and I am looking for a replacement . Does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement axle . I believe it is a 3500lb straight axle 5 on 4 1/5 but can't confirm the length . can anyone confirm if it is a 89'' length with 74'' between leaf spring mounts ? Any help would be appreciated .

Bjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #2

Do you have any idea what caused it to bend?? Are you able to see the bend?

Old 03-29-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
APD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Do you have any idea what caused it to bend?? Are you able to see the bend?
And is it wearing the tires?

I replaced/upsized my axle but I lucked out. My old axle had the Dexter part number and even the old Cruiser RV PO# on it. Made ordering a lot easier.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #4

I noticed them wearing on the insides of the front tires and you can see that they are slightly towed out at the bottom . When I looked under it you can see that the ends are slight bent up . The label was super hard to read so it was hard to identify but I was able to make it out now . Apparently it has real odd ball size axles in it so nobody has them . Just ordered one from my local dealer and I've been told it will ship within the next 5-7 days . I purchased the camper used and it looks like the rear axle was replaced not too long ago so I'm not sure what exactly caused it .
Bjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #5

A quality repair shop that does truck alignments can straighten a bent axle trailer for far less than a replacement.

I experienced bent axles on mobile homes a few times when in the mobile home transporting business. Simply removed the axle, took it to a truck alignment shop to have it straightened and re-install. Ezy peazy.
Old 04-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to anthonyx2
Default Dexter axles are " factory bent"

That's the way they are manufactured. Apparently there are some benefits from having that "bend" in the axle, cornering and weight response. It is possible they have become "over bent" but they do have a natural bend when new anyway.
anthonyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

As anthoneyx2 stated - the axles have a natural curve to them with the center rising higher than the wheel end as they are designed like that and the tires will run true.

If the inside or outside edge of the tire shows excessive wear, the camber is off.

IF the tires ware wearing improperly - then the axle is not properly aligned. Camper axles are subjected to alot of twist with sharp turns exiting and backing into camper spots which can put excessive stress on the axle. The excessive twisting can cause the wheel camber, caster, toe in and toe out to become misaligned....something that can be corrected when necessary by a quality truck/trailer alignment shop.

Reference: https://www.etrailer.com/question-154877.html

Should a replacement axle be required; check here:
https://www.easternmarine.com/3500-l...-trailer-axles