Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

Default 2015 189FDS - LEAK!

Took my 3 month old 2015 189FDS out for its second trip. Went to Bledsoe Creek near Nashville TN. Lots of bad weather.

I decided that if the rains came, I would go to town and browse. The rains came.

What I returned to - WATER all over the dinette, including flooding on my open laptop computer. That resulted in $500 I didn't need to spend on a new computer! (however, had I waited more than 24 hours, I would have seen that the wet computer had finally dried out). Water kept falling from the dinette window for an hour or so after I got back.

Fridge (helium) also won't switch from electric to gas even though it's on AUTO.

So very frustrating when you spend that much money on something brand new.

After having this new trailer for a while, I have noticed that, although more "features" have been added, the fit and finish has deteriorated from the quality of my original 2008 Fun Finder X160.

Now, let me ask you guys a question - on this new trailer, I noticed that ALL the windows have caulk only across the top and down each side by about 4". Nothing below that on the sides, and none on the bottom. The salesman told me this is "normal" procedure. I'm not sure I believe him. When I brought the trailer in last Thursday for the leaking window fix, I looked around a several trailers on their lot - they all had caulk all the way around the windows.

Thoughts?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

The salesman lied to you ~ show him the others are caulked all the way around and see what he says.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

Here is the salesman's reply when I again questioned caulking only the top and a few inches of each side...

If we silicone is applied all the way around a window, any moisture that
gets in cannot escape at the bottom. It is trapped in the sidewall. We
will go ahead and silicone the sides of each of your windows, however that
would not have prevented your leak. We have pulled your window and found
the foam pushed out in some areas. We will add butyl tape when re install
and re silicone.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

OP HERE.

I had a long talk with the salesman and I am now comfortable with the caulking. He will have tech caulk all the way down the sides, but he said I'd have to hold a gun to his head to get him to caulk the bottom.

I am happy.

But they can't get the fridge to fail, so I'll just have to watch what happens on its next trip out (mid-July).
Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Really?

He said they would use butyl tape to seal the window AND SILICONE?

I'd NEVER use silicone!!!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

Default What a bummer!

Michelle --

That is terrible that your windows leaked. At least it is not the roof. Yes, they should use butyl all the way around. Not sure if silicone is necessary, but I don't see a harm in using it in addition to butyl. Maybe there is something bad about silicone that I am not aware of??

Hang tough! By the way, another suggestion about water leaks -- leave Abby inside without water. She will be so thirsty that she will slurp up all the drips right away -- it's a win-win!

Dan
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #7

I used silicone on all of my windows, doors and anything else that goes through the wall on my rebuild. Got exterior silicone for windows and doors. Even had an extra flex option for $1 more a tube, probably no better then the regular stuff but I have so much money wrapped up in all of it what's a few more bucks. Also it looks like my windows have 2 drains (or vents maybe) at the bottom of the window so I silicones all the way around. This thing is going to be amphibious! Jk lol. So why do people say not to use silicone? This is not the first time I've heard it on here but I have never had a problem with it. Just a pain to clean off if you want to replace it. O and when I removed my windows and doors it was silicone that was already on there
Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4fun
I used silicone on all of my windows, doors and anything else that goes through the wall on my rebuild. Got exterior silicone for windows and doors. Even had an extra flex option for $1 more a tube, probably no better then the regular stuff but I have so much money wrapped up in all of it what's a few more bucks. Also it looks like my windows have 2 drains (or vents maybe) at the bottom of the window so I silicones all the way around. This thing is going to be amphibious! Jk lol. So why do people say not to use silicone? This is not the first time I've heard it on here but I have never had a problem with it. Just a pain to clean off if you want to replace it. O and when I removed my windows and doors it was silicone that was already on there
From everything I've heard, it doesn't adhere as well over time and will eventually pull away leaving a gap. New silcone won't stick to the old so you have to remove it which isn't very easy.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #9

Default Fridge

Also, keep us posted on the fridge -- does it sometimes shift to propane and sometimes not?? Very odd problem.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote