Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

Default 2017 FF 21RB Hot Water Mystery

I just bought. a new FF 21rb and on my initial trip the gas fired water heater worked for a couple days and then stopped working. It still works on electric, but I cannot get it to stay on with gas. When I flip the water heater switch I get the light, it then goes out for a few seconds and then comes on again. I have tried to do it a number of times in case there might be air in the gas line but still no go. Stovetop gas works fine, trailer heater works fine.

As a test I heated the water tank with electric and then flipped on the gas water heater and proceeded to run the hot water heater until the water temp mix was low enough for the gas to fire up. I heard the ignition click and a woosh as it lit but it did not stay on. Any ideas if I am doing something wrong or am I faced with taking it back to the dealer? Any help appreciated.

Beachnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #2

Maybe call the dealer before bringing it in and talk to a service tech? It sounds like a problem with the sensor telling the unit that the water is up to temp when it isn't, but that is just a guess.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

Default Good Guess Prof

I would guess that it might be the thermostat. Either disconnected or fried. If you're inclined to, you can check it yourself. Depends on how much of a hassle it is getting to the dealer. The thermostat has two connections, one for the gas heating, one for electric. Can probably Google the image and then you just reverse the wires. If you get it stay fired up and heat via propane, but the electric mode won't heat, it's most likely the thermostat.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

runner421, pardon my ignorance, but isn't there a thermostat for the propane burner, too? Otherwise, the burner would boil the hot water -- ouch!

Or maybe there are two thermostats, one for each heat source? A schematic diagram would be very helpful to someone who knows how to read one, which is not me, sadly.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

Default Correct - 2 water heater thermostats

You are right - sorry if that wasn't clear. There is a water heater thermostat for the propane as well as a separate one for the electric.

They look like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Suburban-23...ter+thermostat

Just by looking at them (they should be very close together), you can switch the wires from one to the other to see if one is bad. Sometimes they're hard to get at, it's a tight fit there. They may be under a rubber protective cover. This is a good thing to know. Especially helpful if you're out camping/boondocking without power and your water won't heat up. It's a simple, in the field DIY workaround. It would let you use the thermostat that working until you can replace the one that's broke. In the picture, you'll notice the rubber piece sticking up, it's like a reset switch, even when under their protective cover, you can press and see if a simple reset will work first. But you don't need a schematic to switch the wires.

In other words - if you have no power and the water isn't heating via propane, switch the wires and if you get hot water, order a new thermostat and replace when possible.
Or-you're in a campground with power, but getting no hot water. Rather than use your propane (assuming in this case that it's providing the hot water), you could switch the wires and use electric (shore) power to heat water until you can order and replace the broken thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails
Limit Switch Reset.jpg  
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #6

Wow!! Runner, I don't know whether that will solve the OP's issue, but what an excellent and clear post. That is the sort of guidance that I try (and sometimes fail) to imitate when answering a question.

OP, let us know what happens, and keep asking questions -- we all learn when the questions get answered!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

Per my husband Paul-it might be a bad pilot light thermocouple. It senses that there is a pilot burning and allows the gas to flow when requested. If The thermocouple is malfunctioning it will never allow the main burner to come on. Or, of course, it may be an electronic ignition. In which case, no thermocouple.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:40 AM   #8

Talking Problem solved- New Circuit Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnuts View Post
I just bought. a new FF 21rb and on my initial trip the gas fired water heater worked for a couple days and then stopped working. It still works on electric, but I cannot get it to stay on with gas. When I flip the water heater switch I get the light, it then goes out for a few seconds and then comes on again. I have tried to do it a number of times in case there might be air in the gas line but still no go. Stovetop gas works fine, trailer heater works fine.

As a test I heated the water tank with electric and then flipped on the gas water heater and proceeded to run the hot water heater until the water temp mix was low enough for the gas to fire up. I heard the ignition click and a woosh as it lit but it did not stay on. Any ideas if I am doing something wrong or am I faced with taking it back to the dealer? Any help appreciated.
After checking everything I gave up and took my trailer to the dealer to diagnose. Turns out it was a bad circuit board which is something I would have never been able to diagnose. It was covered by the warranty. No charge. Although it was an inconvenience to take the trailer in, the people at CampersInn in Jacksonville were really nice and efficient and had me done by 930am.
Beachnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #9

FYI. Wanted to clarify something mentioned earlier. While it is true there are two thermostats, one for A.C. and one for gas, they are not interchangeable because one is rated for 110 volts AC (left side) and the other for gas is rated for 12 volts DC (right side). When you go to buy them, the DC version is about 3 times more expensive than the A.C. version.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #10

Default Hot water heater

I just bought a 2007 fun finder 189 used but it's n great shape but can't figure out why there's no hot water
Waylon buzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon buzbee View Post
I just bought a 2007 fun finder 189 used but it's n great shape but can't figure out why there's no hot water
If your getting just a trickle of hot water then check one way valves going in and out of the hot water tank. They are in in the brass fittings and may be broken. If you are not getting any hot water at all, than you have no water in the tank or not heating the water. Check to make sure all the valves leading to the tank are open and not in the bypass mode. Next, turn on the propane and ignite the burner (either manual or electronic). If the burner goes out or won't lite, than either the nozzle is plugged or the thermostat is fried. If you have the electric 110 volt heating option, try it to see if the tank will heat up. Its unlikely that both thermostats are bad, but it can happen. Good luck.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Site Team

Could be a few things. And it would certainly help to know what type/model of water heater you have. I assume you are trying to run it on propane.
I believe in 2007 the water heaters had to be manually lit. Another possibility is that the PO winterized it and isolated the water heater so the bypass valves will need to be turned to the proper position to work. Could also be things like a faulty propane regulator that isn't delivering sufficient pressure, or a problem with the water heater itself.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water heater