Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

Default 230DS - Lights In Slideout

My 230DS has two lights on each side of the bed in the slideout. Everytime I put it a bulb it blows a fuse. Any suggestions on where to start with this problem? It has been that way since we brought it home in January. Thanks!

qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #2

Sorry, I'm being a little dense today...that's normal, according to the DW...density for me varies from moderate to severe daily.

Can you rephrase your question? There is a typo and I can't figure out if it is everytime you put a bulb in it blows the fuse...? Is it a double sided light fixture, i.e., a bulb on each side with a switch in the middle or is it single bulb, mounted reading light? Does putting the bulb in blow the fuse whether the switch is on or off?

Sorry, this is a "denser" day for me apparently

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #3

I have a DS too. If your talking about the wall sconces on either side of the bed, I'd try looking for where the wiring comes down the wall of the of the slide out when all the way retracted. The wires are probably getting pinched with the repeated in and out of the slide out and has worn thru the insulation. Once you find the bad section, it might be a good idea to add a piece of heavy automotive wire loom before making your new connection to help protect it in the future. Good luck.
WarpathEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #4

Okay, so everytime I turn on the scones, or put a bulb in the sconces and turn on the light, it blows a fuse.

Today, I crawled under the bed, took off the panel that covers the wiring and slide motor. There are no crimped wires, I followed them into the wall openings, checked under the wire insulation to see if there was any wire damage, none. Then I took the lights off the walls and checked them and they are okay.

Any other ideas? I'm not desperate to get them fixed, but having them there and not working drives me nuts. We have table lamps with LED bulbs and they work great. It would just be cool to have the sconces work.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:42 AM   #5

Is only one sconce blowing the fuse? Will it blow the fuse if the bulb is out of the fixture and the switch is pushed? If so, the switch or socket is bad and that can be tested with a meter.

If neither sconce will blow the fuse when the switch is pushed and no bulb is in the socket, I'd look to the bulbs you are using.

Also, make sure that you have a good solid ground at each sconce.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #6

Both lights do the same thing. They are both wired the same, two black and one white; one of each to the light socket and one black to the switch.

Help!!! This is driving me nuts. It says to use 1076, I went out and bought 1076. I also tried other 12V bulbs. Both sconces blow the fuse when you turn on the light.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #7

qtla9111,

If you want, email me your phone number. I think we can hash this out quicker than here on the board. You can post your findings after the problem is fixed. maintenance@saintagnes.com

Rick
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #8

Sending you an email. Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #9

Problem Resolved. I checked just about everything but the most obvious. Just as I had resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to find this on my own and WarpathEngineering was nice enough to offer to walk me through the slideout, I posted on my blog what mods I wanted to do. I mentioned this issue and someone posted a comment, "are the sockets for single or double contact bulbs?".

I went out, took off the fixture from the wall and peered down inside. Sure enough, it was a double contact and someone, maybe the dealer, had put single contact bulbs in there and they were burned when I received the trailer. I assumed that the fixtures required the same single contact bulbs.

I now have lights. Thanks to all. I also now know more about my Funfinder wiring and slideout.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 AM   #10

It's usually the most simple of things that you spend all your time chasing your tail over. Glad you got it fixed!