Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Default 272RLSS front storage

So I am buying a golf cart, and thought the ideal place to leave the charger would be the back side front storage locker, away from the doors, as that's about where it will be parked.

I just looked inside the bench at the kitchen table to see the outlet there, thinking I can access the back of the outlet next to the bed to tap and add an outlet in the front storage. But these outlets have back covers on them, not like home wiring. If I remove the cover can I still tap the outlet? I was going to add a surface mount box directly behind it in the storage area.

kellockc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
Site Team

What you have is called a speedbox receptacle that are made to fit into thin walls. It's not designed to be able to tap in additional wiring like a standard wall box, so I don't think you can add wiring to it. At least not without a lot of modification.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #3

You could “beef up” the back side of the bench panel and replace the “speedbox” with a standard outlet from which you could run a tap line to the surface mount outlet inside the front storage bay.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #4

I believe I have seen the "rv" type outlets on Home Depot or Lowe's website. Have not tried tracking them down in reality. Also, suspect the common type will have the possibility of thru wiring, because doing that is a common method. Cannot make any promises, though.
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote