Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Default 6v 0r 12 189 FBS

Hi everyone. Has anyone with a 189FB Fun Finder removed the stock 12 volt battery and added 2 6 volt battery's in its place? Looks like I will need to change the box they are in and maybe change the tongue jack to a different style so the new battery's will fit. I have removed the electric jack the first year the trailer came with as it was a piece of junk. And have now a top crank jack on the front and would maybe change it to a side crank to make more room. Has anyone done this and what did they need to do to make it work? Thanks for your input. Salty

Old 01-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #2

SaltyNuts you might also want to read the other discussion currently ongoing: What Batteries Do You Use?

Old 01-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #3

Default 1 12 vilt

I use 1 12 volt deep cell battery from Costco.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #4

The so called Deep Cycle is likely an AGM battery and if you use the factory WFCO converter to charge it, I suggest you might want to check whether the battery is ever reaching full charge of probably 14.1 Volts. All I can say is that mine was not and I added the Renogy 12V DC-DC charger. Since you shop at Costco I would expect that you would come out financially ahead to get two of the 12V AGM batteries and wire them in parallel rather than going the route of two 6V batteries. My 2˘.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #5

Default Hi Jimbo

Hi Jimbo. In using this did it make a big difference?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #6

I read that undercharging an AGM battery to the same voltage as a maintenance free battery results in a ~20% reduction in the Amp-Hour capacity. Based upon my non-scientific assessment I believe that to be true. After changing to the Renogy 12V DC-DC Charger my batteries last hours longer.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #7

You should be able to put 2 6 volt batteries on with new boxes. By doing this you will get more amp hours and much longer service out of them than using 2 22 volt batteries. Making sure they ar3 completely charged makes a big difference. They not only need to get to 14.1 volts but also need to stay there for awhile to saturate.
I have try all the different configurations over the years and 2 6 volts have worked out the best. Costs a little more up front bu5 saves in the long run.
Ronnie835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #8

I put two 6V deep cycle batteries back in the aft end of the toy hauler to change my weight distribution and am pleased with the result. Deep cycle batteries have thicker battery plates and a denser active material which means they (should) stand up to repeated charge and discharge cycles and deeper discharges (you can discharge a deep cycle battery to about 50% of charge without harm).

The real choice is how many ampere-hours you want to buy. Amp-hours don't actually measure how many hours you can run a device (the industry kind of obfuscates the data) but it is still useful to compare one battery to another. More is better. More is also heavier and higher priced. Buy as much as you can afford and can afford to carry. I don't think it matters if you buy 6V or 12V batteries; make your choice based on battery Ah and life ratings as well as your space and weight capacity. You can wire two 6V in series or two 12V in parallel and end up with systems that work.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #9

On my 2009 189FS running two six volt deep cycle batteries, two separate boxes, have been without any problems. Trailer is presently in winter storage but once a month I connect the battery disconnect switch I installed in front storage compartment for 2-3 days to keep batteries charge
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1825
whatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltynuts View Post
Hi everyone. Has anyone with a 189FB Fun Finder removed the stock 12 volt battery and added 2 6 volt battery's in its place? Looks like I will need to change the box they are in and maybe change the tongue jack to a different style so the new battery's will fit. I have removed the electric jack the first year the trailer came with as it was a piece of junk. And have now a top crank jack on the front and would maybe change it to a side crank to make more room. Has anyone done this and what did they need to do to make it work? Thanks for your input. Salty
My main concern is if they will fit. with a 189 FBS
Old 01-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltynuts View Post
I installed two Kirkland (interstate) 6 volt golf cart batteries- works great. I did have to install some new angle iron to the top of the frame, there wasn’t room in the factory rack. I think there is a photo in my profile.
Agnitio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:58 PM   #12

Thanks guys for your input. looks like I can fit it in. Salty
Old 01-11-2021, 05:54 AM   #13

Yes, I bought my 2011 FF 189FBS trailer last year. It still had the original batteries in it which would not last more than a day and a half. I replaced them with two 6V “golf cart” batteries as someone called them. I had to get 2 new boxes but they were inexpensive at Batteries Plus Bulbs. I didn’t have to change anything on the tongue.

I also replaced the original electric tongue jack with a Bulldog 500187 from Amazon. I chose this jack as it had good ratings, had a smaller head and could be turned sideways which allowed me to raise my lift gate on my Ford Expedition with the trailer still connected, which was a huge plus.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:01 AM   #14

I’d love more info on your battery disconnect switch please and hopefully with a picture. Thank you.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #15

Default Battery switch

Hi Caroline I dont have a picture but what I did was use an old small plastic or glass jar. Take the lid off and make a hole in the top so the pull handle on your battery switch will fit through it. mount the lid over the switch and screw the bottom part of the jar over the lid. Now if anything shifts in your cargo hold it wont push the switch closed while driving. I guess it was to much for Cruser RV to figure out.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #16

excellent thanks for the picture whatme
Old 01-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #17

Saltynuts
Sorry. A little late to this thread. For an other battery location option, check the first of my set of posts titled "Fun Finder Solar Install Part 1" in the search box. I welded a swing down battery rack under the trailer for two 6v just forward of the right tires. Worked great and kept my solar wiring length to a minimum.

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote