Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Default A couple of newbie questions

I have a new 189 FDS and getting ready for the inaugural trip as we prepare for a 3 week trek to the great northwest, Washington, Vancouver, etc so I am getting stuff I need and tinkering with things:
1) What do you use to check the top of the slideout for debris before you slide it in. Do people carry small ladders, pole with mirror on it. Both. Just wondering. That under bed storage unit is going to fill up fast.
2) How does water get to the water heater when you are hooked up to city water as the fresh water tank doesn't fill and the pump doesn't seem to run.
3) Anyone have a checklist they use to make sure things are ready for the road after camping. I am used to popup camping, way less things to think about.
Thanks for any help you are willing to share.
Bruce

bruce3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #2

Default Re: A couple of newbie questions

[quote="bruce3211"]I have a new 189 FDS and getting ready for the inaugural trip as we prepare for a 3 week trek to the great northwest, Washington, Vancouver, etc so I am getting stuff I need and tinkering with things:

1) What do you use to check the top of the slideout for debris before you slide it in.. Do people carry small ladders, pole with mirror on it. Both. Just wondering. That under bed storage unit is going to fill up fast.

I carry a collapsable ladder in my truck. But I had a slide out awning installed to prevent debris from getting in.

2) How does water get to the water heater when you are hooked up to city water as the fresh water tank doesn't fill and the pump doesn't seem to run.

Connect cicy water and run hot water until water comes out with no air.

3) Anyone have a checklist they use to make sure things are ready for the road after camping. I am used to popup camping, way less things to think about.

Had a check list in the beginning. Just go through the set up of the camper and take notes. You will add something to the list after EVERY trip.

Just relax and enjoy. You will forget something every trip. And ther is always a Walmart nearby.

Mark

2011Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

Default Good questions

1) Telescoping ladder: http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-...scoping+ladder

Not a big fan of the slide out awning. Just me - an RV dealer talked me out of it by showing me 2-3 year old awnings. Some tend to tear and sag and wind can even blow leaves under it making it more difficult to clean.

2) Pump sucks water from tanks and cold water routed to cold faucets, hot is routed through the heater. City water is routed from the source/hookup the same way.

3) Mental checklist - haven't written it down. But if I keep forgetting to check the range exhaust hood flapper one more time. . .

Welcome. Ditto on the WalMart!!
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #4

Yup, that's the ladder I carry. Had an awning blow open outside Amarillo in a wind storm a year ago March and no way to get up to work on it. I said that will never happen again and bought that ladder. 2nd worse day of camper traveling I ever had.

I never had a slide awning before. Come to think of it, I never had a slide before either. In addition to protecting the slide roof from debris I think it will keep the interior cooler. I noticed all higher end RVs have the slide awnings. Dealer talked me in to it and I think I am happy with it. I'll find out in July.
2011Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote