Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Default A question for any 189FBS owners

If you are a FBS189 owner, any year I guess, I have two questions for you. As we continue to learn about our 2007, I noticed there was a piece of cardboard inserted in the outside vent for the stove hood. My question is, I'm betting this was put there to winterized the unit and it needs to be removed, but should there be some type of screen that goes into that slot to keep critters or bugs out? There are two little tabs that hold something in place, but I'm not sure what, does yours have one?

Second questions pertains to the emergency exit window by the queen size bed. There is a sticker that tells you how to open the emergency window, but it also states to remove the screen first. We don't have a screen on ours, should there be one?

Thanks!

Dillinger-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

We have a classic cruiser 187FB which is practically the same unit, yes we have a screen on that window and there is a metal flap on the outside of the stove vent that is held closed by those 2tabs when on the road.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Matt, thanks for the reply. I will contact the dealership to see if they will take care of that for us.

They gave us a 30 day warranty, but I don't know if it will cover items that are not there at trade in. The coolest thing is the outdoor grill is still in the carrying case and was never used. The prior owner even left a brand new grilling set in there.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #4

From what I understand the stove vent flap WILL leave the TT when going down the road if not secured with the two tabs.

Enjoy your TT.
TV: 2015 Silverado 3500 HD
Duramax
thefarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #5

Thefarside, thanks. I contacted the dealer and they will replace that vent for us, and they are looking for a replacement screen to fit on the window at no cost to us. If you are ever in north central Illinois, do not hesitate to stop into Pontiac RV in Pontiac Illinois. Mods, if this is not allowed, then I apologize for dropping their name, but these guys have been fantastic in working with us on a camper that is 7 years old.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarside
From what I understand the stove vent flap WILL leave the TT when going down the road if not secured with the two tabs.
Well that explains why my vent is wide open! Do you know if there is a part number to replace just the flap, or do I have to replace the whole outer vent housing?

Ed
Ed Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #7

Ed, I'm going to my dealership today to pick my replacement part up, so I will ask them for you and get a part number.
2003 Limited Production New Beetle Turbo S
1966 VW Beetle -restored.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #8

That would be much appreciated! I sure hate the notion of taking off the old unit and resealing everything if I don't have to.

Ed
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

If a picture was posted of one before it was installed with dimensions I think it would be easy to replicated out of aluminum flashing for the purpose of a backup just in case.

John
TV: 2015 Silverado 3500 HD
Duramax
thefarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

Ed, the company that makes the part is Hong's and the number on the sticker is JRP21208. It says, Damper for J116.

It has this info- Manufactured in China for Hong's Industries 3500 Lexington Park Drive, Elkhart, Indiana 46514.

So you can buy just the damper. Putting it on easily may be another story. It took me about 35 minutes to cut through all the caulking and silicon when I removed mine. Also in the process, since it was brittle it cracked. I'm thankful my dealership gave me a whole new piece as mine was somewhat yellowed anyway.

Once I remove the old one, the new one would not go in all the way as the part that slides into the side of the TT was about 1 inch deeper than the old part. Out came my jigsaw and I whittled the new one back to where it would fit perfectly. I applied all new seam goop (I'm not sure what the proper name is, it looks like putty with paper on one side) installed the new piece, replaced all of the screws and then used the silicon caulk they gave me.

All total the job took,about two hours as I wanted the silicon done right. Who ever did the original install must have been blind in one eye, and couldn't see out of the other as it was horrible.

Now I have a bright, shiny white vent, with the damper and a 100% better looking caulk job.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

Default range exhaust vent and flap

http://www.hengsindustries.com/range...entcovers.html

This shows pictures with dimensions...hope it helps.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #12

Oh boy. It sounds like a PITA for sure. I suspect I will be better off pulling the whole thing out and committing to replacing the entire assembly. I would hate to order a part and dive into this only to break the housing and have to order a replacement anyway.

Thanks for the update!

Ed
Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Venture
Oh boy. It sounds like a PITA for sure. I suspect I will be better off pulling the whole thing out and committing to replacing the entire assembly. I would hate to order a part and dive into this only to break the housing and have to order a replacement anyway.

Thanks for the update!

Ed
I would a agree. Due to age I'm betting yours os pretty brittle too. Although the dealership replaced mine the sticker on the side for the entire assembly was $18.95. I'd try eBay too.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #14

Check this topic in the mods,repairs and maintenance ....

Stove Vent Repair/Replacement
Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to pbskipper
Default STOVE VENT COVER

I lost two of them on my Cruiser before I learned to place a block of foam rubber inside the vent shield to prevent the flap from leaving in the road speed slipstream. The 2 little turn tabs don't always stay where you put them. With the foam block in place while motoring I have put several thousand miles with no problems. Prior to the foam mod I lst a flap on each trip! That got old. You have to undo the tabs to use the vent so it is no big deal to also remove the foam. Hope this helps!

Stay safe out there.
pbskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #16

Default Re: STOVE VENT COVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbskipper
I lost two of them on my Cruiser before I learned to place a block of foam rubber inside the vent shield to prevent the flap from leaving in the road speed slipstream. The 2 little turn tabs don't always stay where you put them. With the foam block in place while motoring I have put several thousand miles with no problems. Prior to the foam mod I lst a flap on each trip! That got old. You have to undo the tabs to use the vent so it is no big deal to also remove the foam. Hope this helps!

Stay safe out there.
Great idea, Thanks!