Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #1

Default about electricity

I bought 2 new batteries we do not have electricity where we are when we left last week the battery indicator was at 3 but during the week had a call that a buzz came from the trailer is this to say that the battery is low should I take off the fuse when gone Thank you

Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

Any time that you are going to be without a "charging solution", i.e., shore power, vehicle power (alternator) or standalone generator, for a week or more, you should use the battery disconnect switch to remove the battery from the system's connections. There are many devices that, although being "off", still draw power (televisions, stereos, microwave, etc., and there are some devices (your LP leak detector, for instance) that can't be turned "off" for safety reasons and will gradually drain even a couple of batteries.

You don't mention which model you have, but, most of the FunFinders come with a battery disconnect switch (you don't need to remove a fuse). This switch effectively removes the cables from your battery, using a push (off), pull (on) motion, isolating it from power drains. If you come back with your model number, maybe I or someone else can tell you the location of your switch. Some of the FunFinders (based on year of manufacture or model number) may not have the switch, in which case, removal of the fuse from the green cable spliced into the positive battery post cable would be the best way to go.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

Try to always keep your battery charged. I charge mine immediately after coming back from a trip. A discharged battery will allow sulfur to build up on the plates even if it is only partially discharged. This can happen in as little as 24 hours and will quickly decrease battery life. I have seen batteries die in less than a year due to improper maintenance. I always keep my 189FBR plugged in when stored. The power converter goes into float mode after charging. If there is no power where you store the trailer, I would recommend a small solar charger or remove the battery and take it home to charge. Also make sure to check the water and fill with distilled water if low.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote