Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #1

Default AC maintanence?

Perhaps a silly question but do I have to take my X210 to a camper service center or can a local HVAC business service my roof mount A/C unit? What about DIY recharging with products designed for automotive A/C systems?
Sadly, the A/C "regular maintanence" has not been a priority as I rarely require the A/C to be used. All indicators point to warmer than usual Summer this year and I think "you know who" will likely demand a solution.
So, main question, are there alternatives to the "RV sales & service" option?
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't think there's a lot you can do to service RV AC units. There are no service ports to check pressures or add refrigerant. So about the only thing you can do is clean the dirt/dust off the evaporator and condenser fins and clean the filter.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #3

Does that mean replacement then? (If cleaning the condenser and evaporator fins is ineffective?)
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 06-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
Site Team

The other possibility is a bad starting capacitor for the compressor motor. But if the motor is starting and not blowing cold air, then unfortunately, its time to replace it.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
APD

If the compressor and fan run and the coils are clean but the unit is not cooling then you most likely have a refrigerant leak. To test and locate the leak, repair, retest and charge the unit will cost enough that you will most likely be half the way to the price of a new unit. That's assuming that the leak is in the piping and not one of the coils.
Most repair techs won't check beyond the electrical side anyways. Repairing a leak, or any repair that is mostly labor only is just not profitable. Selling and installing new parts, with the part markup, is where the profit is made. Not their fault, that's just the market.
Besides, they really can't warranty leak repairs on old equipment.
However, if it is an electrical problem and not a leak, then the repair would be cheap and easy.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #6

Thanks to all that replied ��. I guess I'll do a "fluff & buff" and see if there's any improvement. If not, start looking for a replacement ��.
RipVan