Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Adding a Window?

We have the FF139 and I'd love to add a window in the front wall next to the dinnette to lighten it up in there. I see places selling reasonably priced RV windows that seem pretty weather proof. I'd also need to add some sort of cover to protect from rocks during travel. Cutting through the wall might be tricky, as it seems to be hollow, but otherwise is it doable?
Has anyone done this before? Is this a really bad idea?
If so, let me know before I ruin the FF and get my wife really mad at me.
Your suggestions please!
thanks!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #2

Default Re: Adding a Window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skubitwo
We have the FF139 and I'd love to add a window in the front wall next to the dinnette to lighten it up in there. I see places selling reasonably priced RV windows that seem pretty weather proof. I'd also need to add some sort of cover to protect from rocks during travel. Cutting through the wall might be tricky, as it seems to be hollow, but otherwise is it doable?
Has anyone done this before? Is this a really bad idea?
If so, let me know before I ruin the FF and get my wife really mad at me.
Your suggestions please!
thanks!
Well cutting into the front of your trail don't for get you will be cutting into the front wall supports and if its a newer fun finder it will have metel joist and you would also have to make a window fram back inside the wall to resuport the wall. unless your frame happens to be made for a window but just wasn't put in but then you would have to figure out where it is. Honestly i would leave it the way it is. Plus i have a front window in mine from the plant and my trailer is only 3 years old and its already leaked on me twice now and ive had to take it out and reseal it not a fun job.

queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #3

Default window install

I agree, sounds like a really bad idea. If you have to have more light, perhaps a small skylight would be a better idea. Still, that has a few problems associated with it also. Better leave it as is, bring along a lamp to add some light to the table area.

Front windows seem like a real problem area as it is, no need to beg for more problems.

Dale N
dmnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Yes, cutting though a metal joist or two would create some problems! I could maybe deal with leaky window issues, but I don't want to mess with the structural integrity of the trailer.
bob
Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #5

Check with the manufacture as to the locations of the metal wall studs. I belive they are 16 inches on center. With that said you could possiably install 1 or 2 small windows w/o compromising the integrity of the walls.
But then there is always that leaking problem.

Radar
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #6

Windows are overrated.. I spend most of my days outside, Rain or Shine.

I've done some modifications to my trailer but with the amount of wind and rain the front of the trailer sees while towing, I'd be very scared to install my own window..