Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #1

Talking Adding Recessed Lights

Ok, since we're living in the 189FBR full time again, I am going to get around to replacing the ceiling lights with some recessed ones. These are the ones I'm getting If you see any reason they would not work, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I got ones that have free returns, so I can send them back if there's a problem.

I also ordered some rocker switches to install next to them.

Has anyone else swapped out the stock lights for recessed lights? if so, any hints or tips for me?

Thanks for any help!

Liz

Old 01-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #2

I would be hesitant to install recessed lights, for two reasons. First, in order to do so, you have to cut into the foam on the ceiling, which interferes with your insulation. Second, all lights (even LEDs) generate some heat, and I don't know where the heat will go if you recess the fixture.

By contrast, a ceiling mount provides air circulation around the fixture. Not as nice-looking, but everything in life is a compromise.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

One more thought -- the lighting pattern from a recessed fixture will be narrow. The pattern from a ceiling fixture is wider.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
One more thought -- the lighting pattern from a recessed fixture will be narrow. The pattern from a ceiling fixture is wider.
Thanks! All good points, since I don't think the FF has any 'attic' space. However, I've been toying with the idea for years, and am biting the bullet and investing a whopping $25 into it. Well, plus the rocker switches ..

Anyway, Hubs is 6'3+ tall and has to stoop everywhere in the trailer. so, since we are living full-time in it, I'm hoping this will allow him to stand upright everwhere except under the a/c.

If it doesn't work, I can always put the original fixtures back ... they are much bigger than the new hole will be ... and I'll save the styrofoam ... or just pick up a beer cooler at walmart and cut it up LOL

Liz
Old 01-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #5

If you haven't replaced the existing bulbs with LEDs I would
recommend it! I replaced mine a few years ago with inexpensive bulbs from Amazon that fit into the existing ceiling fixtures.

When I removed a fixture to figure out how I wanted to install the recessed lights I saw pretty bad heat damage to the ceiling from the old bulbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Recessed_Lights_RV_DIY_WackkyPup_1w.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1529

So, anyway, I have cut some wooden bases in which to mount the lights. The existing ceiling is thin plywood and the lights require a thicker mount in order to be stable. I plan to cut a large enough hole in the ceiling styrofoam to allow an air gap around the light. The hole they cut just to mount this surface mount light is pretty big, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Name:	tn_Recessed_Lights_RV_DIY_WackkyPup_2w.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1530

Running down the middle of the ceiling is a plastic channel that contains the 12v wiring. To avoid having to cut into it more than it is already cut up, I am going to mount the new lights to off-center. This will actually center them into the living area, as the cabinets on the kitchen side are deeper than the ones on the couch side, so off-center of the trailer is actually center of the living area. I also bought some automotive switches, that I will wire in so that each light can be individually powered.

Name:	tn_Recessed_Lights_RV_DIY_WackkyPup_5w.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1531

The lights are really thin, so this should be a great improvement in height, and also update the look.

I haven't decided if I want to make a fancier base. Maybe something mid-century modern The trailer is so small, I have to watch out for visual clutter, so small and square and white and unobtrusive might be the best option.

So, what do you think?

Liz

Tags
led, lights, mod, recessed, replacement