Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #1

Default Aftermarket ladder on front of Toy Hauler

Installing a solar system on my 2011 XT-200 Toy Hauler. My previous toy hauler had a front ladder and it made installation/maintenance much easier and safer.
I've read threads here about rear installs but has anyone attempted an aftermarket ladder install on the front?
I'm thinking something like this
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Ladders/...ts/SP501L.html
since it has the hinges for the nose.

Roxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:39 PM   #2

Just get yourself a telescoping ladder that stores in closet or pass thru.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:53 AM   #3

Yeah, I know those exist. Thanks
I just want the safety of a ladder that's attached to the structure and especially the rails extending over the top lip.
Again, anyone have any experience with this?
Old 08-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #4

Here is another issue to consider -- the strength of the fiberglass cap that will support the ladder. I love Fun Finders, but the underlayment for the fiberglass tends to be thin (in order to save on weight, I guess).

On my trailer, the spare tire is mounted on the back wall. When I was checking the tire pressure on the spare, I noticed that it was wiggling. I checked the mounting bolts and discovered that they had dislodged the fiberglass on the rear wall. The whole setup was not strong enough.

So instead of using washers on the mounting bolts, I used a wide aluminum backer or plate in order to redistribute the load. Problem solved, and no harm done.

But if you were to screw lag bolts into similarly-thin fiberglass for an after-market ladder, I would worry about the strength of the fiberglass, since the manufacturer probably did not install extra beefy glass in anticipation of a ladder up front.

Maybe I am worrying about nothing, but that would be my concern, based on my experience with the spare tire.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Here is another issue to consider -- the strength of the fiberglass cap that will support the ladder. I love Fun Finders, but the underlayment for the fiberglass tends to be thin (in order to save on weight, I guess).

On my trailer, the spare tire is mounted on the back wall. When I was checking the tire pressure on the spare, I noticed that it was wiggling. I checked the mounting bolts and discovered that they had dislodged the fiberglass on the rear wall. The whole setup was not strong enough.

So instead of using washers on the mounting bolts, I used a wide aluminum backer or plate in order to redistribute the load. Problem solved, and no harm done.

But if you were to screw lag bolts into similarly-thin fiberglass for an after-market ladder, I would worry about the strength of the fiberglass, since the manufacturer probably did not install extra beefy glass in anticipation of a ladder up front.

Maybe I am worrying about nothing, but that would be my concern, based on my experience with the spare tire.
Thanks, that is my primary concern. That's why I was hoping someone out there had tried this. I would definitely used the aluminum backers as you did. It would be nice to have some sort of building schematic to see where the support framework was located.
It says "ALUMI-X Aluminum Superstructure" I just need to find out where the aluminum is.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #6

Finding the aluminum studs could be tricky -- I don't think that an ordinary stud finder would work. The magnet in the stud finder would not be attracted by the aluminum.

I think they make ultrasonic stud finders for aluminum studs??
Old 08-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #7

Personally, I would not attempt installing a ladder anywhere on a trailer. First because the sidewalls and roof are not suitable to anchor a ladder that would hold a 100-250 pound person. Secondly, adding any holes to a roof is a no no in my book unless there is reasonable benefit like adding solar panels for example.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote