Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Default Air dish

My 2011 x244 RBS HAS A AIR dish fixed position on the roof and no matter where I am the signal is always poor could this be due to a bad cable ? I want some inputs before I just start changing parts . Thanks

Quinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinon View Post
My 2011 x244 RBS HAS A AIR dish fixed position on the roof and no matter where I am the signal is always poor could this be due to a bad cable ? I want some inputs before I just start changing parts . Thanks

Hi Quinon, Welcome to the Forum...

I am not familiar with the Air Dish, but it needs to be noted that HD and satellite signals can be interrupted/impaired by cut/gouged coaxial core wires and cut ground foil and shield by lousy stripping techniques and improperly installed connectors... I could get only a few pixely stations earlier this year in AZ; I borrowed a ladder and checked the lead connection at the antenna... And it almost fell off in my hand!!! I found loose connections and all of the inside connections to have lousy stripped coax and inadequately installed connectors, AND all were loose!!! I repaired what I could in the field and reception increased by at least 100%!!

I decided to go ahead and upgrade my Antenna Tech Bat-WIng style antenna due to fair reception... I picked up a set of compression crimpers and a coax stripper and am redoing all connections... In addition, I have upgraded the Antenna Tech Bat-Wing with a Winegard IV and a Winegard Pro direction finder (That will help find the signals much quicker!!!).

Being a Ham, I have learned that the reception of radio frequency signals is no better than the coax, connections, and the antenna... I remember my first long distant QSO, on 10 meters, in the early 70's was made on a homemade antenna, connected by a properly assembled, and matched coaxial lead, via a 5 watt rig ... from Southern AZ to Cape Hope Africa...

Good luck and if you have the skills, I would start by checking the connectors...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

AIR dish??????
Old 07-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
AIR dish??????
Yes that is what it's called it is the antenna of the unit but in a fixed position that allows me to watch digital cable channels there is no turning or pointing on this antenna just turn on tv and let it search for all the channels it can pick up and it's done ... Prolly is a better way to explain it . But no matter where I am the signal is always poor idk if the little unit it self is bad or if cable from it to tv is bad. I was just hoping maybe someone had a little inside on something like this
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hi Quinon, Welcome to the Forum...

I am not familiar with the Air Dish, but it needs to be noted that HD and satellite signals can be interrupted/impaired by cut/gouged coaxial core wires and cut ground foil and shield by lousy stripping techniques and improperly installed connectors... I could get only a few pixely stations earlier this year in AZ; I borrowed a ladder and checked the lead connection at the antenna... And it almost fell off in my hand!!! I found loose connections and all of the inside connections to have lousy stripped coax and inadequately installed connectors, AND all were loose!!! I repaired what I could in the field and reception increased by at least 100%!!

I decided to go ahead and upgrade my Antenna Tech Bat-WIng style antenna due to fair reception... I picked up a set of compression crimpers and a coax stripper and am redoing all connections... In addition, I have upgraded the Antenna Tech Bat-Wing with a Winegard IV and a Winegard Pro direction finder (That will help find the signals much quicker!!!).

Being a Ham, I have learned that the reception of radio frequency signals is no better than the coax, connections, and the antenna... I remember my first long distant QSO, on 10 meters, in the early 70's was made on a homemade antenna, connected by a properly assembled, and matched coaxial lead, via a 5 watt rig ... from Southern AZ to Cape Hope Africa...

Good luck and if you have the skills, I would start by checking the connectors...
I'm sure this weekend I'll start by fishing in a new cable and see where that takes me I'm handy enough to do a few things on it ... Next project for it will be changing awning fabric not really looking forward to that
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinon View Post
I'm sure this weekend I'll start by fishing in a new cable and see where that takes me I'm handy enough to do a few things on it ... Next project for it will be changing awning fabric not really looking forward to that
You may not have to "pull" new cable, to do that even on my little 19 footer would be a chore that would make me shiver...

Coaxial cable rarely goes "bad", but if your connectors were installed by the same person that did mine, you should be able to see if they are loose, but I would be reluctant to start changing all the coax before checking out the basics first... I know that just throwing parts at a faulted system, without knowing the fault, can get expensive AND may not do anything but cost you money, exercise, and frustration...

Here are a few points that I would suggest (NOT KNOWING YOUR PRODUCT):

--Is the "Air Dish" working correctly... Does your manual list any maintenance or troubleshooting tips??

--Do need to turn power on or make any adjustments before it can locate the satellite/s??

--Do you require a satellite/dish subscription??

--Have you visited your local dealer to see what they know or suggest??

--Have you contacted the "Air Dish" manufacturer to see if they have any info, upgrades, suggestions, etc. to offer??

Maybe if you posted the antenna's manufacturer name and model number, it would give us a bit more to go by... I did a Google search and didn't find anything specific...

Good luck again...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

It could be a POS antenna ~ as was the Jensen antenna factory installed on my XT 276.

I replaced it with the King Jack and now get alot more channels and clearing reception regardless of where we are at.

KING Jack Antenna | KING
Old 07-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

That would prolly be the best thing to do is contact my dealer and see what they suggest checking. But seems like almost every business around my prt of the world here don't like helping like that just say well you will need to bring it in so we can have a look at it then end up with your whole check lol.. But I will most defiantly call and see about what they suggest and I will check all connections thanks again for all the information
Old 08-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #9

How hard is it to switch from the omni to that king jack.dale

Dale Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote