Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Default Ant Brigade

Hello friends, noob again....

So it appears here in CA that every campsite has an organized brigade of ants perfectly positioned in the high ground of the edges of every site. I unknowingly roll in to occupy the low and exposed ground with thoughts of harmony and peaceful camping. As the stabilizer jack hit the ground, bugles sound and a battalion of seasoned veterans attack each contact point.

So who among us has a well thought out, successful, eco friendly, active defense system?

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

There are several different kinds of ants so different products produce the desired results.

This company has quality products I've used and believe they may provide an solution to your ant problem. Their product to eliminate earwigs is the best of anything found IMO.

ants - Do It Yourself Pest Control

Old 07-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

Haven't tried it but heard if you sprinkle Comet around it keeps them away! Sounds eco friendly to me...��⛺️
Old 07-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

Amazon lists many products indoor and outdoor and organic. We have used the liquids before where pets can't get to them and they worked. Also have used the baits where they enter, grab the poison and carry it back to the nest. Are they in the trailer or just outside?
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

Thanks all for the tips. Mich, currently I am at home with no ants to speak of...yet will be camping next week and want to be prepared. KS perhaps comet works better than my last attempt...borax. I put a nice circle of borax around each jack and tire. Next day I looked and it was party central. Apparently borax is like ant amphetamine as those lil buggers invaded everything within the first 24 hours. I ziplocked every food item and we made our way, but it was a daily battle. I'd prefer to not let them enter the premises. Comet sounds like I could try that. Anyone use any form of pepper? Seems like pepper or chili flakes or something might work...
Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #6

I prefer to eliminate pests but if you want the eco route ~ here:

Eco-friendly ant control | Rainharvest.co.za
Old 07-31-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

We just got back from San Onofre and the ants staged repeated invasions. I tried corn meal - the ground squirrels loved it! San O explicitly states not to use cleanser, so that was out. I smeared vaseline around everything that touches the ground and that seemed to work, but covering all stabilizer jacks was tough.
After two D-Days by the ants, I'd had enough and sprayed bug juice on everything that touches the asphalt. That kept them at bay for a day or two. We must have killed hundreds of ants inside the trailer. They never got any food as we secured everything and kept the food boxes in my truck. I can't say we won the war as they were with us the whole time. We came home with hundreds in the trailer. They will soon die and with no queen, they will not be a problem.
donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

donkris, that was my exact experience at San Elijo. They are relentless. Two days home and we were fine but ya it was less than desirable out at our site.

Eagle, thx. I may try some of that next week. Thanks for the ideas everyone.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #9

Your horror stories with ants remind us of our horror story with black flies and mosquitoes in northern Michigan in the spring. Luckily we carry a small vacuum cleaner with us and pretty much had them all sucked up after about TWO hours. But we still got bites in our sleep and vacuumed more the next morning before we left. We will never camp at the Tip of Michigan in the spring again!!

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote