Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Any alternative way of attaching valances?

Does anyone have a good alternative way of connecting the valances on over the blinds. They way Cruiser does it with angle brackets is terrible. It would be nice to have something the slips on from the top.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

My problem with the valences was that they covered so much of the windows when the blinds were open. I took the blinds off and screwed them up in a higher position. The valances over the dinette window I removed the angle brackets and screwed the valence directly to the overhead cabinets. Some of the others I simply removed entirely. amazing how much that simple change improved the light and the view.

I would like to figure out how to clean the blinds, I'm going to end up replacing them with simple curtains that I can remove and throw in the washer. With two dogs and a lot of dusty travels I need to be able to wash everything LOL.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Site Team

To clean the blinds check in your area to see if there is someone who does ultrasonic blind cleaning. I had this done years ago to the miniblinds in the house and it made a huge difference. It wasn't expensive as I recall.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

This:

http://www.housecleaningcentral.com/...ni-blinds.html

How to Clean Mini Blinds: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Old 06-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

Thanks, my method is to take them outside and spray them with a hose and hope they fall apart so I can make curtains lol. So far it hasn't worked, they still look pretty good. I'm not going to spend much finicky time on them, I'd rather take a hike!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
My problem with the valences was that they covered so much of the windows when the blinds were open. I took the blinds off and screwed them up in a higher position. The valances over the dinette window I removed the angle brackets and screwed the valence directly to the overhead cabinets. Some of the others I simply removed entirely. amazing how much that simple change improved the light and the view.

I would like to figure out how to clean the blinds, I'm going to end up replacing them with simple curtains that I can remove and throw in the washer. With two dogs and a lot of dusty travels I need to be able to wash everything LOL.
I always clean blinds by soaking them in the bathtube with powdered Tide. Then to rinse, I hop in the shower and hold them up. To dry them, I have two plastic hangers with the bar across and hang one end of each blind in each hanger on the shower curtain rod and put a bathmat beside the tub to catch any drips. Oh and I shower when I rinse... keeps from getting my clothes wet. lol That said, I've yet to try that on my very new (used) 2005 Fun Finder. But would LOVE to know how to take the blinds out to do it, if you could tell me if there's a trick to it?
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #7

We only have the tiny set of mini blinds in the tiny kitchen window. The rest are cloth accordion shades that lock in place. They are showing dirt in areas. I have not figured out how I am going to clean them yet. Probably a microfiber cloth with a mild solution of Dawn detergent being careful not to change their shape.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs_rule View Post
But would LOVE to know how to take the blinds out to do it, if you could tell me if there's a trick to it?
That's a great way to wash the blinds. I will definitely try that when I get home.

They remove just like normal ones at home, you kind of twist them in the bracket and it pops out, or there is a metal clip that you push down and they will pop out. I'm not sure which kind you have.
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #9

Thanks! I just got my Fun finder, used, so I am trying to clean everything in it! Imay cave and try putting the pleated shades in the bathtub as well.... as long as they look to be lined with fabric and not paper. And I will also removed/move the valances. Light is good!
Old 07-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #10

My funfinder is a 2008 year and I have washed blinds a couple times with no damage yet, although the edges look a little fuzzy. I'd rather have fuzzy edges than dirty blinds LOL
Old 07-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #11

Great tips already!!! Thanks everyone!