Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Any help diagnosing this electrical problem?

We have a 2005 18fbr and have been having this strange electrical problem...

On a recent trip we noticed that the CD/DVD radio, the 12V outlet where the TV sits, the outside light, and the light over the dinette had all stopped working. On our next trip, they worked fine, then again stopped working on a following trip. On one of the trips where they had stopped working, I accidentally dropped a full water-bottle on the floor near the dinette table - THUD! and the aforementioned lights and radio all started working again!

All summer, whenever those lights and radio would stop working, we would stomp our foot on the floor and they would come back on. However, after a few hours, they would all stop working if we turned on any of the lights or radio mentioned before. Strange. This happened whether we were on 12 v battery power, or plugged into an AC outlet. No other appliances or lights have any problems.

Another strange symptom of this problem is that the radio would apparently build up enough 'charge' to come on for about half a second and then nothing. It seems as if some power is getting to the radio and these lights, but not enough - or if enough power WAS getting to them, all it took was someone turning on the dinette light or stereo and they went back to not working again.

Now, the CD/DVD radio, the dinetter light, the outside light, and the 12v outlet by the TV have not worked in months. Stomping on the floor no longer gets them to come back on.

I recently got underneath the camper and inspected the wiring. Although there is some slight wear on them at certain places where they rest against holes in the frame, they are not worn through. I checked all fuses and flipped the breaker - charged battery, checked it's fuse, etc...

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on this before I surrender and take the camper in to some $$$$ repair shop...

thanks!

bettyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #2

Default Re: Any help diagnosing this electrical problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
We have a 2005 18fbr and have been having this strange electrical problem...

On a recent trip we noticed that the CD/DVD radio, the 12V outlet where the TV sits, the outside light, and the light over the dinette had all stopped working. On our next trip, they worked fine, then again stopped working on a following trip. On one of the trips where they had stopped working, I accidentally dropped a full water-bottle on the floor near the dinette table - THUD! and the aforementioned lights and radio all started working again!

All summer, whenever those lights and radio would stop working, we would stomp our foot on the floor and they would come back on. However, after a few hours, they would all stop working if we turned on any of the lights or radio mentioned before. Strange. This happened whether we were on 12 v battery power, or plugged into an AC outlet. No other appliances or lights have any problems.

Another strange symptom of this problem is that the radio would apparently build up enough 'charge' to come on for about half a second and then nothing. It seems as if some power is getting to the radio and these lights, but not enough - or if enough power WAS getting to them, all it took was someone turning on the dinette light or stereo and they went back to not working again.

Now, the CD/DVD radio, the dinetter light, the outside light, and the 12v outlet by the TV have not worked in months. Stomping on the floor no longer gets them to come back on.

I recently got underneath the camper and inspected the wiring. Although there is some slight wear on them at certain places where they rest against holes in the frame, they are not worn through. I checked all fuses and flipped the breaker - charged battery, checked it's fuse, etc...

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on this before I surrender and take the camper in to some $$$$ repair shop...

thanks!

Very strange the only wiring i have ever seen under the trailer was for the brakes. All other wires are inside the trailer. and ran in the walls remember the power distro box is inside the trailer they wouldn't run wires from that outside and then back into the trailer. the only wires out side are the main battery wire untill it comes into the trailer right at your cut off switch if you have one inside your outside storage compartment or if theres no cut off its under a back plastic cover also inside that storage compartment. Now there maybe the main power wire running under the railer to the fuse box that ive never notived. but all your other wiring is definaly inside execpt like i said the electric brake wires. even the tail and marker light wires are ran inside the trailer. One thing i would check is when the light and things go out look in the fuse box and see if theres a red light lite up next to a fuse. if there is check the fuse next to it or even replace it if you still have them same problem you might want to pull the fuse box out its held in with 4 screws and make sure all the wires connections on the back are solid. I did have a short in my monitor panel it would work just like your describing It was also affecting my water heater switch well when i pulled the monitor panel off the wall i fond very crappy loose wire connections . even exposed bare wire due to incorrect wire connectors they used when building it. So thats something else you can check is the wiring behind the radio theres a messload back there and also on the lights that keep going out.

queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #3

so, get this:

we hit a big bump on the ride home from a trip last weekend and guess what? the radio and light over the dinette started working again!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
so, get this:

we hit a big bump on the ride home from a trip last weekend and guess what? the radio and light over the dinette started working again!

You you have a short either at your fuse box or in the wall. Your going to have to start looking for that short. Like ive said before all of the wiring is inside the trailer and i would start at the fuse box and make sure all those connections are tight on the back of it then move your way to the radio and the lights I can't remember for sure but it seams like the power goes to the radio first and then branches off to the lights from there. Ive had all that apart before but i just can't remember.
queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to buzz
Default wiring

I do a lot of wiring and when a problem like yours comes up I follow the same troubleshooting guideline. When you have several things on one single circuit you will find that the power jumps from the panel to the first, then from that first light, radio, or appliance, to the second, and then the third and so on. If the ground, neutral, or hot wire is loose at any of those locations, then the fixtures that jump, or follows will not work. Start with a good flashlight or lantern, Kill the trailer power and start with the closest non working light (or what ever it is) to the panel. Open it up (meaning locate the feed wiring) and tug on wires that are bundled together. You may find one that is out of the bundle or one that pulls out of the bundle easy. Bundle meaning wire nut. You are looking for anything that will move in and out of contact. You may be looking at other sources of bundling wires, it could be several wires under one screw, but It is key that bumps and stomping makes a change. Hopefully it will be spotted if not, move on to the next non working fixture and repeat. If you are unable to locate anything then it may be a shorted out wire rubbing up against metal, in a hidden spot. Key is look close with the first steps because the next steps will cost you. Good luck!
Buzz
2003 F250
1999 SLK 230
and a moon pie (:
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #6

thanks guys...

I finally had to take the thing in for a bent axle (don't ask) and we had them fix our ongoing electrical issue...

the problem was the light over the dinette... had a short in it and everything after it was only working intermittently

life is so much better now!