Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Anyone replaced an LP tank with a Generator

Thinking abut removing one of the 2 LP tanks which we never use and making a spot for a 3,000K Generator. It weights 54 Lbs., the tank, full was around 37 Lbs. Also wondering if the total diff of say 20 lbs would all be on the tongue or distributed somewhat to the axel. The FF is an 2008, X160. Any input appreciated, A two tank LP cover fits the Generator like a glove at the angle shown. A single tank cover would fit the one LP tank.
Here is my thought using a a simple aluminum base the size of the Generator.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01916.jpg  

wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

IF, like you say "Thinking abut removing one of the 2 LP tanks which we never use" .. and concerned about weight ... why not just remove both LP tanks as the genny would weigh less than the two tanks?

Old 11-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #3

Default Not yet anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
IF, like you say "Thinking abut removing one of the 2 LP tanks which we never use" .. and concerned about weight ... why not just remove both LP tanks as the genny would weigh less than the two tanks?
Well, I haven't used one yet, like to keep one just in case, otherwise, both would go and the space would be nice.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #4

Default I wanted both!

So-I went this direction. Both propane tanks, and storage/transport rack for 2 Honda generators (that have been converted to run on propane or gasoline.)
Attached Thumbnails
2GenRack.jpg  
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #5

runner ....... interesting set-up for the pair of Honda's.
How do you secure them so not to fall off when traveling or get ripped off when parked most anywhere?
Old 11-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #6

Eagle -bought the "reinforced" metal handle cover (slips over/around existing handle, makes it harder to cut through.) Use a 3/8 braided steel cable with padlocks through the handles and to the shelf. For short distances the gens can ride on the shelf, longer distances might put them in the tow vehicle or camper. Honestly, anything can be stolen if the thief is determined enough (a grinder with a cutoff wheel or bolt cutters will suffice.) I try to keep the "spur of the moment" thieves from having an easy time. The cable is taught enough to keep the gens from "bouncing" up and over the lip/edge of the shelf.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #7

runner....I also have a pair of Honda EU2000i's that I use and transport them in the tow vehicle pickup box. The metal handle cover is on both and when camping, they are secured to the hitch with a cable that will scream if cut. https://store.lockalarm.com/product/...arm-4-6m-15ft/
(Purchased several alarm cables for far less on a closeout a few years ago)
Personally I would be concerned about the gens bouncing off the mount when in transport unless properly secured so you may have addressed that issue.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #8

Default Generator

Wishuwerehere why not put 3-4 100 watt flexible solar panels on your roof? That's what I have on my fun finder. Since I did this the past 4 yrs camping 6 times per yr, I have only had to use a gen about 4 times! Its not a big deal to throw in tow vehicle and only take it if weather forecast shows mostly cloudy.
FunFindsUs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:52 AM   #9

Well, I would go solar but all the campgrounds we use have tree canopies that would hinder the solar, and most all have shore power. We don't boondock a lot, not that many places in North Ga, that would permit it and we getting old so need some amenities and such. The Generator is just a backup, for when shore power isn't an option.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishuwerehere View Post
Well, I haven't used one yet, like to keep one just in case, otherwise, both would go and the space would be nice.
In that case, remove them both and mount your generator where the tanks were. You can always carry one LP tank in the tow vehicle if you think you may use it someday.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #11

I opted to give this a try this coming season, 1 single 5Lb Propane tanks Vs 20 Lb for weight reduction, decided to downsize from the 2-20lb tanks , so a weight reduction of approx. 74 lbs to 14 lbs, or 60 lbs less for the "tiny tank". Our trips are usually a week or less and so far we have only used the stove very minimally, camping is about cooking out anyway. The smaller tank should meet our needs and if colder or longer trips, a 20lb would be attached. This also provides a handy easy spot for the Generator.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #12

Wouldn't work for me but hey .. if it works for you ~ EXCELLENT SOLUTION.

Have a very Merry Christmas