Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
roy

Default Anyone tried wrapping exposed water lines in foam?

I am going to attempt it this afternoon. I figure I got nothing to lose and plenty to gain that is if I can get the foam wrap on some of the areas which are in a tight squeeze. For the most part I can see these areas just a matter of getting the foam on the pipe the pulling the self seal strip to glue the foam halfs together. I'm not looking for a huge R factor and won't be camping in zero degree temps but I'm most concerned about during transport when the wind chill factor comes into play under the camper with lines that have water in them. Figure its worth a try for the $20 in 6' long foam strips I need to wrap them up.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
roy

Done! $11 bucks and two hours of cold uncomfortable working conditions. Actually spent $16 cause I bought 3 sticks too many. Oh well I'll use it someday. Wasn't to bad, one elbow that they had up against the frame lip was a bad area and it wasn't better just above that into the floor right above the tank drain pipe. This has to be better than bare naked pipes. Don't expect it to work in below 32 degree weather for hours on out but during transport it should work. I will always keep Rv antifreeze in it during winter. But for the occasional January thru March use at a racetrack to and from it should do the job.

Hopefully I didn't pull anything loose in the process. Everytime I try to improve on Cruisers disaster assembly/build it usually ends up way more work down the road. My standards are very high, theirs not so much so.

WERA Expert #826
Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #3

Default Reflectix

I did the same thing with reflectix and duct tape -- not as nice as your job, but adequate. I am not sure it makes much of a difference in very cold weather, but in the 20s it seems to do ok.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
uct

This will help in cold weather, However wind chill has no affect on non living things.
uct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uct
This will help in cold weather, However wind chill has no affect on non living things.
Wind chill will certainly freeze something. I had a water pump freeze up on a 600 racebike that was in the back of a pickup when the temps were in the high 20's. Racebike had water and water wetter only in the system. I don't take any chances anymore.

WERA Expert #826
Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
roy

Default Re: Reflectix

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
I did the same thing with reflectix and duct tape -- not as nice as your job, but adequate. I am not sure it makes much of a difference in very cold weather, but in the 20s it seems to do ok.
Yes I'm not looking for extreme cold protection just a get by. I don't go camping in cold cold weather but track events in jan thru march can be hit or miss down south these days.

WERA Expert #826