Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Default Atwood Refrigerator - ANOTHER Problem Has Cropped Up!

Some of you may recall the issues I have had with my 2015 Atwood refrigerator - the one using helium, not ammonia? I never got the "replacement/corrected" part that will supposedly solve that not-switching-to-gas issue (I have my doubts) - the holidays came up and now I'm out camping.

Just discovered this new problem the other day - now the refrigerator will NOT run on electric. It immediately goes into check mode and starts beeping. Even though I'm plugged into power, the fridge goes to gas when set to auto. If I force AC, beepbeepbeep.

I've checked the fuse and circuit breaker, turned fridge on and off several times, unplugged the trailer from power, and unplugged the fridge from that plug in the outside compartment. No luck.

Ah, so much frustration. I have yet to go out camping when something didn't go wrong. Oh, yes - the Thanksgiving trip, I believe, was trouble free...

Grrrrrrr.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #2

If it's any consolation Michelle, our first outing in The Heart of Gold hasn't been perfect either. When we arrived, we discovered that a rough stretch of interstate managed to break one of the rollers off our solid glass shower doors and it was half outside the shower. I contacted Cruiser RV on Jan. 15th about getting a replacement part and Dave in CS was very nice but unfortunately, they didn't have any stock of that part so he had to order it. Hopefully we'll have it next week.

Then, the first time it rained, we found water running down the inside wall at one corner of the slide-out. By retracting the slide-out we were able to stop the water intrusion, however, it did cramp the interior space quite a bit. The next day I checked the area of the slide out roof and found some small voids in the sealant where the vertical flange meets the horizontal rubber roof (of the slide-out) section so I got some silicone (that's all I could find locally) and filled the small voids. The next time it rained, water continued to come down the inside of the slid-out wall.

So, back up I went for a closer inspection. There is a length of heavy black vinyl tape running the length of the slide that also seals this seam. It seemed to be intact but I found an area where it wasn't sticking well to the roof and water was creeping in underneath this tape. I got some clear Gorilla tape and added a strip along the entire length of the edge of the vinyl tape and then added a few more reinforcing strips at the area where the leak appeared to be. We had a light rain the other night and no water inside this time. I doubt this is a permanent repair but it should get us through this winter trip hopefully.

We're a bit disappointed with the mid 30's temperatures at night and also disappointed that it's not warm enough to get the kayak wet. We're moving inland and further south in 2 weeks so that might change

Still Finding Fun however as you can see in our blog

Old 02-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

Michelle, your fridge is infuriating! But there is a silver lining -- if it displays this glitch all the time (it will never, ever go onto electric), that is almost certainly a motherboard problem, which is almost certainly covered by warranty. This should be an easy quick fix at someone else's expense.

The bad news, of course, is that you live far from the dealer, if I recall correctly.

And the other silver lining is that if it works ok on propane, you are good to go, in the short run. Propane is easily available and cheap, and the fridge uses very little. If the fridge would run only on electricity and not on propane, that would really limit you, since you would have to have hookups all the time.

Hang in there, and let us know how it is going!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

I called my dealer (he's only about 30 miles from my home, so not bad). He said he believes there is a fuse on a printed circuit board that might have blown and he said he would show me where it is, when I ultimately bring it in for the other fridge "fix".

I went outside and looked - didn't see any printed circuit board that might have a fuse on it.

Any suggestions?

I was just going to head home with 1 empty tank, but now MIGHT stop in for a New Orleans visit. So, I'll fill the empty tank today.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Default Fridge Warranty Dealers

Hi Michelle,

For fridge, stove/oven, furnace, water heater, water pump and a/c, if you have a dealer in your area (even while traveling) the appropriate dealer will come to you, rather than you going back to the dealer. I found this out awhile ago when I had a furnace problem. By the way, we live in a small town and the dealer was not really in our area, but was willing to come out anyway.

Regards,
Alan
alan2544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

Michelle, I don't know where your circuit board is, but mine is inside the lower vent hatch. This is the same access panel you would use to clean the dust out of the burner. My control panel is on the left side of the vent area, near the power outlet.

Having said that, I have no idea how I would look at a circuit board and spot a blown fuse!!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

I'm pretty sure I could spot and change the fuse. My problem would be finding the circuit board. I'm like the proverbial Bull-In-A-China-Shop when it comes to taking stuff apart. Used to make George (my better half) crazy, because he'd have to be the one to put it back together (or not...)

I'll let you know what I find out when the time comes for the "fix"!

But a good and wonderfully positive point - since I've been out this trip, I've lived through two pretty strong rainstorms...nary a leak to be found (at least to the nekkid eye).
Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #8
Site Team

Don't let the dealer get off so easily by just replacing the fuse. The real question is why did it blow in the first place? It won't help much if the fuse gets replaced and then blows again once you've left the dealer.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #9

I was thinking the same thing - WHY did the fuse blow (assuming it's the fuse - could be anything with this fridge!). Heck, with my luck, the thing will be working when I take it in! (well, now that I said that, I better go check...)

I need to ask another question - I'll start a new thread.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #10

Took the trailer in to dealer yesterday. It was the fuse for 120. Now I know where it is AND as tech emphasized strongly to me - make sure rig is unplugged at both the trailer and the fridge in its little compartment before I put pliers to that fuse! They said if it happens again, that there is something wrong...

Just a tiny, little 3A fuse...at least now I know.

I need to post another another electrical question. I'll start a new thread...

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #11

Where was the 120 fuse -- in the breaker box??
Old 02-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #12

Not in the breaker box. It was in a black plastic "cover" in the lower outside refrigerator compartment. To get to the entire thing, he had to take off what I would call a heat shield - it was a maybe 6" square-ish, very thin, thing in front of the round pipe.

when that "heat shield" was off, all of the screws to the black plastic box were accessible. And he had to "unplug" a piece of rubber (?) tubing that was coming out of the black plastic box.

There were 3 fuses - 2 x 12v and 1 x 120v.

I can go out tomorrow and take pics, if you'd like.

ON EDIT: I keep re-reading this and editing it. And therefore, keep seeing that picture of probably one of the cutest little beasts in the world. I just love that face.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

And Abby is pretty cute, too!!