Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Default awning cleaner and shell

OK I searched and didn't find anything specific. What's everyone use to clean the awnings up? Mine is starting to get black dots almost like mold but doesn't appear to be because it doesn't come off easily.

So what cleaner has anyone found to clean the awnings up please.

For that matter how about just the exterior?

I have xt-245 fun finder

PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #2

Update
I found this cleaner at Dollar stores called awesome. Worked great for awning. Was very impressed didn't try on shell yet.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #3

Be very careful with the Awesome... It is, indeed, a marvelous cleaner; very strong and at a good price ($1), but, full strength it can do some serious damage and I definitely don't recommend using it, at any strength, on the sidewall of your trailer. At almost any strength it will remove all the wax and, according to some "reports" on it from others, can even remove some of the clear coating on the filon and etch the glass windows.

For those reasons, I wouldn't use it on the awning, either. It may not damage the awning, but, the potential for getting it on the trailer's walls is fairly high. Good stuff, but, IMHO, too strong to use regularly and diluted to where I would feel safe using it, there are other cleaners that do better.

My recommendation(s), what I've found over the years that work well, are Tilex for cleaning the awning. Spray liberally, roll the awning up...let sit for the duration of a cold one. Unroll the awning and hose off. Stubborn spots can take a second application and more serious scrubbing, but, by and large, the awning comes out clean and it won't damage anything. For cleaning the trailer walls, I use regular combination auto wash and wax formulas. Gets the trailer clean and leaves a shine. Won't replace the occasional waxing, but, for in-between times most of the better formulas (Turtle Wax, Macquiar's, etc.) do a good job. If you've got black streaks, Simple Green will take most of them off, but, you'll have to re-wax the area...most anything that takes a black streak off is also removing the wax (the black streak is actually in the wax surface, not just "on" the surface - that's what makes them so hard to remove). For wax, I like NuFinish. Got turned onto that wax when I had a fiberglass cabin cruiser; I've tried other waxes, but, always seem to wind up back with the NuFinish. It isn't really a wax, but, more of a polymer coating and once you get a couple of layers on it holds up well, cleans easily and I've found that it is about as easy as any others to apply and remove.

Those are what work for me...now, if the darned trailer weren't 35' long and 12' 6" high, I might be inclined to actually use them more!

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Thanks we slave for the info. Already used it on the awning as I said I will not use it on my trailer I will look else where like you suggested.

I actually heard the simple green strips stuff. Typically when I was any trailer I wax it right after makes for a long day but worth it.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

For the awning I have been using a little bleach, What I do is put some bleach and water mix in a weed sprayer (pump style) spray the awning with the solution , roll the awning up, let it sit for 5 min or so and then I take a long scrub brush and scrub the awning, rinse it off good, and your awning is as good as new.

Besure to wear some old clothing or a rain coat, and safty glasses, some liquid could spill on you and ruin your clothing.
jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

Thanks jeepcruiser. I never thought of rolling it up both you and web slave do this I'll have to do that method for sure makes sense. Anything for easy.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #7

Default thanks webslave,jeepcruiser

read your posts from 2011 good stuff! thanks for the advice on awsome

2008 Cruiser RV Fun Finder XT200 Toyhauler
tugjes is offline   Reply With Quote