Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Default battery charging

Does anyone know about the charge controller if any on the funfinder?

Twobirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #2

Please let us know what exactly your question/issue is, then we can help you. Are you wondering if the FF has one? Are you wondering how it works?
Not really sure what you are asking.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #3

Default Charge controller

Sorry about the vagueness of the question. The charge controller for the battery. Does the fun finder have one and yes how does it work. Am I able to add another battery, change from 12 volt to 2-6volts or add solar panels using the factory controller on will I need to add one?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #4

Hey no problem.

While I can't answer how it works specifically, I can answer a couple of your questions.
Yes you can add another battery. Most people go to 2 6v as they tend handle deeper discharges better & last longer. Although some people think that 2 12V are better as if one battery goes bad, you still have 1. While with two 6v you are SOL.

Here's how to do it
[/url]http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/05/rv-6-volt-battery-upgradehttp://<br /> <br /> Here&#39;s some r... panels.<br />http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/18/rv-solar-panelhttp://<br /> <br /> Sorry I can&#39;t...is next b-day.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #5

the convertor charger usually charges at a lower charge rate and cycles to keep from over charging your battery, it cannot distinguish between battery types butonly send volt/amperage. If you go to 2 6 volt or even 2 12 volt you will get better performance and longer life with a stand alone good quality charger. I use a 6 volt charger on my 6 volt batteries to give them there initial charge and then connect them to the trailer.
you can find a wealth of info on batteries just by googling it or go to wikipedia.
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

Default converter in funfinder

Thanks for everyones help. Just a little more clarification before I am judged to stupid to own a trainer and kicked out of the owners club.
If I camp without hookups one night and drive several hours the next day will the truck recharge the batteries or only maintain them. Can I travel several days and a lot of time without plugging in my funfinder?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #7

No one is judging.. I was just trying to get clarification before I answered the question.

And no question is a stupid question. We were all rookies at some point.

To answer your question.

Yes you can. but there's a couple things to note. Make sure your tow vehicle has a power wire that runs to the trailer. This is part of the 7pin, but it isn't always hooked up for power (Sometimes it is used for reverse lights). Easy way to check, is to drain your trailer battery down a bit so that the monitor shows 3/4 or 1/2. Then plug your 7 pin into your tow vehicle while it's running and go check the trailer monitor again. It should be at full. Now this is strictly cause it is charging from your tv. you'll have to leave it running for a while (~1hr) depending on the battery.

And it also depends on your power usage. If you use lots of lights, stereo, you probably won't make it through the night. I've made it from about 3pm to about 4am the next morning. Now mind you we weren't being very cautious with our usage and had the vent fan running for my son. So with due diligence you could easily last 24hrs if not longer.

Just remember that even if every light, stereo, fan, etc, is turned off there is still a drain on the battery..

Don't leave the trailer plugged into your TV. It will drain your TV battery.

And make sure if you are just letting the TV idle while charging the trailer battery that you leave a TV window down. Ask me how I know. 3hrs of on-star not being able to locate my suv even though it was running with the keys locked in it. Ah the joys of camping in remote areas. At least I only had to walk an hour to get cell service.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #8

Default Battery Charging

Thanks for the help. I know no one is judging, I'm just self concious about questions when I am almost not knowledgable enough to ask the right questions. Only one more (maybe).
So will replacing the factory marine/rv battery with 2 6volt true deep cycle batteries help with length of time we can use it and will the charging still be the same. There I slipped in 2 more.
My son and his wife bought land in the mountains with plans on building and farming. We bought a small 16" 169wb and hope to drive there , 240 miles and stay for 2 nights without charging. We can conserve, have no tv, miocrowave and think we can do it. What do you guys think?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #9

By changing to two 6V batteries you should get more. Charging should be the same although it may take abit longer.

You should be ok, just remember to turn off all lights, and turn off the pump unless you are using it.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #10

Default Battery

I dont know if this will help or not,but my 2 cents.

I use my 2007 189 for primative camping only.I go 5 or 6 times a year.
The day befor I leave I put my car charger on for 24 hrs,on 10 amp charge.I think the when driving the car only puts a surface charge not a deep charge,but I dont know for sure.I use the battery only water pump and heater and lights.I have a cheapo 1500 watt genrator that I use for microwave and tv with dvds.
When I store the trailer I disconnct the bat.Before I had the generator
i had bat power for 3 days .
when the bat get to where it is good for 1 night, it needs to be replaced.

when the first bat died,deiving the car would not charge it.This is my second trailer,the first was a chalet or aliner as they are known.It is my experience that 3 to 4 years is all a battery will last

RWDIII
RWD lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #11

thats correct, driving the tow vehicle will only surface charge, the cars alternator is not meant to be a replacement for either the power convertor or a stand alone charger. The best way is a 10 amp battery charger to fill the battery and then the convertor to maintain. Buy a hydrometer to check your battery and do not rely on the "idiot light" on the monitor panel, this only reads voltage.

deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote