Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

Default Battery only charges with 110v "Main" and GFCI bre

We're only a few months into our XT245, and all things considered, it's going great. After the last weekend camping, I found no 12v power except when plugged into a shore line, and tracked that down to a blown 30a fuse below the battery.

Then when I tried to charge the battery back up using the shoreline, and 12v main switch on, it didn't charge.

The only way it charges is with two of the 110v circuit breakers on: "Main" and GFCI. I didn't remember that from previous weekends, but I'm not certain.

Is that normal?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 12-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #2

Default Battery Charging

Are you saying that it will only charge with only those two breakers on and the rest off, or it will only charge with the two on and the rest either on or off?

CubFanMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #3

Good point -

I meant those 2 breakers have to be on, the position of the other breakers don't affect charging.

I had just recalled from the first few weekends out that I could just have the 12v main turned on and the battery would charge. I'm wondering now if I had left the 110v breakers on without realizing it.

Pete
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #4

If I remember correctly on my '08 210WBS, the battery charging circuit was a separate 110v supplied section of the converter...i.e., the 110v breaker had to be on in order for the charger to have current. The 12v out put section of the converter just handled the 12v appliances, i.e., the furnace, reefer, lights, etc. The battery charging circuit had a different 110v pathway through the converter than the 12v output for the appliances. Picture a parallel bus-bar with drop leads that go to two different "devices", the "battery charger" and the "12v convertor". The 110v controls (the breaker) for each "device" would have to be on in order for that "device" to work (have 110v available to it).

I don't remember which breaker(s) were involved...as a rule, if I had 110v available, shore power, I left all the 110v breakers on, if I was traveling and didn't have 110v available, I still left them on. I never have, and still don't, use the individual breakers as "on / off" switches. They aren't designed as on / off controllers, but, protective devices for the entire system against overloads and short circuits. I leave them on all the time, whether I'm on shore power or not and rely on the battery disconnect switch to control external battery loads when not using the camper for extended periods of time. I'm not a certified electrician, but, have done and still do my share of code quality work and have it from several electricians that using the breakers as on / off switches can undermine the intended purpose (weaken and make them unreliable) of the breakers over time if used as "control switches". Think of the converter box as the circuit panel of your home...you don't use those (or you shouldn't at any rate) as "controllers" for the circuits...that's why the boxes are usually in an out of the way area of the home...the only reason you need to get to the box is if you are doing wiring work or you have circuit failure (trip the breaker).

My guess is that you had the breakers "on" and just didn't realize it at the time...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

Default Breakers and charging the battery

I concur with webslave.

The top breaker is the 30A main power, thus if it is not on the whole trailer will be disconnected from 110v power, and you will not charge the batteries because the converter will not function without 110v power supply.

The second one down is typically a 20A breaker used for the air conditioning circuit.

The next are 15A breakers and will be for the outlets, refer, microwave, and water heater and the converter is tied into the outlet circuit.

Keep the breakers on all the time and you will have charging power.

Dave
CubFanMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the excellent advice, I had been working on the premise that it was better to turn off all the breakers when not in use.

On all the time from now on.

Again,
Thanks.

Pete
Old 12-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #7

When the trailer is not in use, especially periods of weeks or longer; it is best to use the battery disconnect switch. Merely turning the breakers off does not remove the draining loads from the battery. While the breakers will remove the obvious loads, the main "drain" on the battery, when the trailer is "idle", is the LP/CO detector and that is wired "direct" to the battery distribution box, bypassing the breakers (for safety, so that it cannot inadvertantly be "turned off"). If the aim is to remove any drain on the battery while the trailer is idle, the disconnect is the way to go. If no disconnect is available, removing the battery cables is the only sure way to isolate the battery from draining devices.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote