Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Default Battery Pull Button/Charging

I have a pull lever in the front exterior storage area that is labeled "Pull On/Off Battery". So if I pull it, does that mean I'm running off the battery instead of shore power? Does my pull lever need therapy or medication or am I the confused one for not know if pulling the lever turns the battery on or off?
Does said battery lever need to be pushed in or out when I'm on shore power or driving down the road for the battery to charge?
I've been RV'ing for 20 years...just kidding. I bought it at the end of last year and I've had Frida out 3 times now. I can spend a few days and gas money to test it myself, but I was hoping one of you would have magic answers for me. Thank you and cheers for a good season!

Frida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
Site Team

That switch works to either connect or disconnect your battery from the rest if the trailers 12V systems. Normally you want to leave it in the on position, which would be pulled out. That way when you're on shore power the battery will get charged by the converter. When driving, the tow vehicle will also provide some battery charging. Also disconnnecting the battery while driving may disable the emergency braking function that activates the trailer brakes in the event the trailer breaks loose of the tow vehicle. (There seems to be some variation on this depending on how the trailer is wired.)
Really, the only time you need to turn the switch off is if you want to isolate the battery so that it doesn't get discharged.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #3

One more tip -- push that switch to the "in" (off) position before handling the battery.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the information. HUGE help. Getting the labeler out right now.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #5

One more tip -- a couple of times, we accidentally pushed the button in, cutting off our power. I now use a little cup hook that loops over the shaft of the button, keeping it in place until I really want to push it in.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #6

Great tip, thank you. It's in just the right spot that I can easily push it in by accident when I put my tool box in. Maybe I'll screw in a u-bracket over the top. I have a bunch of them just sitting in my garage from an old failed project. Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #7

Is this switch possibly coming out of a black box and is chrome and sort of bell shaped, like the end of a trumpet?
Beachseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachseeker View Post
Is this switch possibly coming out of a black box and is chrome and sort of bell shaped, like the end of a trumpet?
yup that's it.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #9

Every year someone posts a similar question RE: the battery cutoff switch. Every time I read these posts and the replies I have to go out to my x210 FF and (again) search for a battery cutoff switch. I've yet to find one! Is it possible that I don't have one? There is a black plastic box-like cover mounted near the center of the pass-thru storage area along the front edge of the floor. There is no switch of any kind on the outside of this box. There are two medium gauge wires (a green & a white) exiting the box and going up a ways before going into the front wall of the storage compartment. Is there another location for a cutoff switch that I'm just not seeing or is it possible that my x210 doesn't have one? It seems like everyone else has on and I'm starting to feel a bit "left out" ��. If I do have one, it must be in the "on" position since all 12v things work when not hooked to "shore power" ��. I gotta know.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #10

Do you have a control panel? There should be some switches that control the lights, the water pump, and the water heater. The cutoff switch is on that panel. In most of the Cruiser products, the switch is a pull-out button -- out is connected, in is off.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Do you have a control panel? There should be some switches that control the lights, the water pump, and the water heater. The cutoff switch is on that panel. In most of the Cruiser products, the switch is a pull-out button -- out is connected, in is off.
No such "panel" on my FF 😳. Above the frig, there is a "micro monitor" that tells me the fluid levels in the black and gray collection tanks as well as the level in the fresh water tank. It also can tell me the level of "charge" in the battery. At the bottom of the "micro monitor" is the water pump switch. Next to it on the wall is an outlet for a 12v accessory plug and a coax cable hook up. On the cover plate is a small button that lights a small red light when pressed. I'm pretty sure it's for a 12v TV system (no longer in the camper). The water heater switch is below the sink. The inverter panel is below and just to the rear of the frig. No battery on/off switch in sight.
The Cruiser RV User Manual that I have is very generic and covers multiple configurations from truck campers to travel trailers and 5th wheel rigs. No mention of a battery switch. There was mention of an "isolator" that supposedly prevents the camper 12V system from depleting the TV battery BUT is was suggested that the trailer be disconnected from the TV to guarantee that would not occur. I don't know if my '07 x210 is an anomaly or what? I just can't seem to find the battery switch 😬.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 09-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #12

Might be a good idea to put one in -- I like to push that button before removing and re-installing the batteries, for safety's sake.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #13
Site Team

Some of the earlier model years didn't have them I think. My 2009 has the disconnect switch on the rear wall of the pass through storage.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #14

If you wanted to install some type of battery disconnect switch the easiest location might be at the AC converter as there is a line directly from the battery (at least for a WFCO converter) or right at the battery box (where I have seen many campers add them).
Old 09-07-2020, 06:41 AM   #15

Would there be an issue if I merely switched the MAIN breaker "off" on the WFCO Power Center? I've had this travel trailer now for over 7 years and it seems like I've managed to get by without the switch. I may install a switch but for now, it's a low priority.
I'm guessing Profdant139's "safety issue" would be the possibility of a spark in close proximity to the propane tanks. I think that since both the battery and propane tanks are essentially in open air, any leakage of propane would have to be considerable for ignition to occur!

Old 09-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #16

Rip, you are giving me too much credit. My "safety issue" is based on my ignorance -- it seems to me that a connected battery is more dangerous than an unconnected one. But just because that's how I feel does not mean it is really true!!

As I often told my students during my 38 year teaching career, "Don't believe everything you think you know."
Old 09-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #17

Keep in mind the Main Breaker only disconnects the AC from the AC system in the trailer and the WFCO. It does not disconnect the output of the power supply in the WFCO from the battery should the PS fail. I think my WFCO has two 20Amp fuses in parallel to the line running to the battery.

I totally agree with the Prof's admonition.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #18

Ripvan- what year is your trailer? Seems like there should be a main battery switch somewhere. Perhaps contacting cruiser and see if they have any information.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:13 AM   #19

Ours is a 2007 x210. I am a bit surprised that I'm unable to find the battery cutoff switch that everyone else seems to have ��. My wife always tells me that I'm not very good at "looking for things" (and sometimes it's true) but I've seriously looked everywhere in and on this TT and I've not yet found the switch. One thing for sure, if I do find it, it will be in the last place I look ��!