Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #1

Default Be careful pulling dinette table top off of the legs

We have a F210-UDS with dinette/sofa combo. Be careful pulling the table top off the legs. We had an unpleasant experience doing so this weekend. I had previously made sure the legs were well wedged into the floor and table brackets so we had as stable a table as possible. When we went to pull the table top off the legs, the table top did, in fact, come off. But it came off the plywood piece it's stapled onto, leaving the plywood still firmly attached to the legs (with many sharp staple points sticking in the air!). Oops. That's my project this week: remove the staples, drill (carefully!) a lot of holes, and screw the plywood to the table top. That sucker is never coming off again unless I want it to!

Anyone else have that problem? If so, would you care to share your solution? I'm thinking screws for strength as well as removability should the need arise down the road. Seems like a better idea than staples/nails or glue. But surely we're not the first people to pull the top off of the plywood.

Too bad there isn't a better design for the legs. Would be nice if they fit into a bracket that locked with a turn, but I know that would increase cost and weight. The problem with this design is now obvious to us: it gives you neither a super stable table top nor an easily removed one. In fairness, it was stable enough for us; you have to learn not to bump into it! But I guess we were getting it stable by pressing the legs pretty firmly into the brackets, and the result was removing the table top. Seems to me that's a design flaw by CruiserRV. We didn't do anything unusual. The plywood and table top should be fastened together firmly enough that no matter how hard you pull up on it, the legs should release from the bracket well before the table top separates. But it is what it is.

Kevin & Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #2

This happened to me on the first day I had it. I used carpenter glue and screws to re-attach it.

Glue may be over kill but we use it as a bed every time and I wanted to make sure it was solid.

All they had to do was add glue before stapling and use slightly longer screw to mount the post holder under neath the table. Just the longer screws and staples would have gone a long war to preventing this.
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote