Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Default Bearing Repack and Brake Adjustment

I began my Spring maintenance this week with a bearing repack and brake adjustment. I planned to post photos, but,heck, all you have to do to see thousands is enter the term "bearing repack RV" in Google Photo and stand back. Anyway, for those among us who are virgin repackers, my best tool was the Dexter Axle Service Manual. Download one for yourself at;
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...anual_9-10.pdf

I always wondered where the grease that went into the zerk fitting on the tip of the EZ-Lube axle went and now I know:

Notice the small hole at the 9:00 position. Here I've put a red straw in the hole for illustration;

If you decide to add grease through the zerk, don't add much because it goes directly behind the seal and into the bearing as shown below;

Any excess goes into the small gap between the spindle and drum. I would guess that a couple of good squirts would do the job.

Of course when doing the bearings, might as well adjust the brakes. Again, the service manual gives a complete guide, but there is an essential piece of equipment; a brake adjusting tool. I had to dig deep to find mine after 25 years, but here it is;

NAPA might still sell them. Knowing how to use one is helpful. for the FunFinder, stick the short end into the adjusting hole, if loosening the brake put the tip of the short end on top of the star adjuster and pry up on the handle. For tightening, put the tip under the star adjuster and pry down. you'll understand what I mean when you get a good look at the star adjuster during the repack.

A couple of minor items: I asked Tom Peck, a very helpful person in CruiserRV's technical department (extn 303) about lug nut torgue specs. It's 110-120 ft lbs for the 5-spoke aluminum wheels. Jack the trailer from the frame just in front of, or just behind,the spring mounts.
Good Luck.
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote