Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #1

Default Bigger rims and tires

Hello, I have a 139x, that has 14 inch tires, 205- 75 -14. Do you think I could upgrade to16 inch rims and tires, will they fit

Old 10-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #2

The answer is maybe! There are a few issues, and your tire dealer should be able to take a look and answer these questions -- first, is the wheel well big enough? On the older Fun Finders, there was not a lot of clearance.

Second, do the holes for the lug nuts match up with the studs on the hub?

If you get your axles flipped, you will have more wheel well clearance for bigger wheels and also more ground clearance. The local Fun Finder dealer can do a flip for you -- they put the axle under the leaf spring. (Not sure if your unit has leaf springs or torsion bars??)

I got my axles flipped so that the back end would never hit going in and out of steep driveways -- the extra clearance is great for boondocking on rough forest roads, too.

But be aware that flipping raises the center of gravity a little, and it also increases wind resistance. I am glad I flipped, but these are issues to consider before you pull the trigger.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

Thanks Profdan139, I am pulling the trigger on the tires you recommended earlier. Iam sitting at America's Tire Co, in Artesia right now. Those 8 yrs old tires are scaring the heck out of me. I'll research the rim and tire up grade. I don't want to wait, iam hoping maybe to get this thing out some where local this weekend.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #4

Don't be too ambitious for your first time -- we stayed in RV parks the first couple of times, just to give ourselves a little backstop in case things went wrong. Maybe Big Bear??
Old 10-23-2016, 01:42 AM   #5

Thats good advise, a friend from work wants to head out to Rancho Jurapa lake, I believe its about an hour from hear with hook ups. good place to practice.

Today I scraped and re sealed the roof vents, corners and cap with Dicor, the old stuff was cracking and getting thin it was still soft..my hands and back are sore. I also used roofing tape to seal a small hole in the roof near the rear edge. I forget what the name of the tape is but seemed to work good it was very tacky. Learned there is a battery disconnect switch located in the storage compartment under the seat. Its push pull switch.. couldn't figure why no power when unhooked to tow vehicle.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #6

Is the tape called Eternabond, perhaps?

Let us know how the first camping trip went!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
APD

Our T139 has 205/75-14s and only has about 3/4" clearance above the tire before it would contact the bottom of the inner wheel well. The only reason it doesn't rub now is the axle is bottomed out and doesn't move. A larger diameter tire might rub on ours.
Check your existing clearance above the tire against the difference in diameter of the larger size.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #8

Profdant139, yep, hope the stuff last
Old 10-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #9

APD, wow thats not much clearance at all. Those are the same size tires I have. I have a good 6 inches of clearance maybe more. I wonder if I am just paranoid from reading alot of post on other sites about ST tire blowout, have you had any problems with your tires?