Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #1

Default Black Tank

Help! I知 new to rv life. I just bought a 08 fun finder x 189. I知 having problems getting the black tank to empty. Has anyone else had this problem?

Kea5269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #2

Hi welcome. I hope you love your Fun Finder 189 as much as I do. I have a 2008 also.

When you are trying to empty your black tank does anything come out? It is most likely that the tank is emptying, but the sensors are misreading as full. This is very common, it does not take much to make the sensors misread. Our sensors said full for years lol I finally got some really good tank treatment and now they read correctly again.

If nothing comes out when you open the valve, then you have a blockage and that's a whole nother story, although the tank treatment I bought is supposed to fix that, too.

Liz

Old 08-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #3

Hi! Thank you for reply.
Nothing is coming out. The first time I used it and this happen I had it sucked out. But I just used it a few day ago, and we never put tissue down it. And still nothing. When I open the toilet I still see water.
I知 so new to this lifestyle, there is so much to learn., but yes! This fun finder is perfect size for me.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #4

I read on here I think, some time ago that had the same issue. I believe they removed the black tank for the trailer and discovered when the hole was cut into the tank for mounting the toilet, the installer at the factory had let the cutout fall into the tank and it was blocking the drain.

It's a possibility you have the same issue if nothing is draining from the tank.
?

Then again, are you sure the drain valve is opening when pulled?
Old 08-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

If you had it sucked out, then it should not have a blockage. Are you using some water when you put solids down it? Water is your friend. If you are in full hookups or at home, you can actually fill the tank completely up with water and put in a good tank treatment, I can recommend one that is environmentally safe and contains nothing bad that I use and works fantastic even when temperatures are consistently over a hundred degrees. anyway, I would recommend getting a good tank treatment filling the tank and letting it sit a couple days and then flushing it out. You actually shouldn't empty the black tank until it's almost full or you are done camping for the trip. We emptied ours much too often when we weren't full time but it didn't seem to cause a problem.

Liz
Old 08-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kea5269 View Post
Help! I’m new to rv life. I just bought a 08 fun finder x 189. I’m having problems getting the black tank to empty. Has anyone else had this problem?
Hi Kea,
Welcome to the Forum and to the world of trailering.

They don't always tell you, but WATER is your best friend along a good Tank Additive.

Are you opening the correct valve and if so, is the valve actually opening?? See Eagle's post below...

Because your problem is repetitive, I'm guessing that you are not using enough water, you are using the wrong TP, you are not using a good additive, you have a mechanical issue, and/or you are not emptying and flushing the tank after each trip.

I am assuming that your Black Valve (The larger Pipe) is being drained first, then the Grey Tank (The smaller Pipe) last. (I had a 2008 XT-190 and I had two tanks and am assuming yours has two, but I'm going to call on the 189 community here.

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #7

On my last trip we used no tissue. Both times I’ve tried to empty the tanks said 3/4 full.
I stopped by the dealer on the way home and a service tech told me the valve is working.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #8

That’s kinda why I turned to this forum. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I put a tank cleaner in it. The tech at the dealership recommended I drive around with a bag of ice then try to drain again.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kea5269 View Post
That痴 kinda why I turned to this forum. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I put a tank cleaner in it. The tech at the dealership recommended I drive around with a bag of ice then try to drain again.
My question is .. is the tank actually 3/4 full or is the sensor just reading 3/4 full?

It's possible something has 'attached itself' to the sensor inside the tank and giving a false reading. Another possibility is, as I discovered when getting a false reading, on the exterior of the tank where the wires for the sensor are attached, the screw is loose and giving a false reading. Simply tightening the screws solved the false reading.

Does your unit have a 'black water flush' hose connection on the outside so you can flush the tank? If not, using a garden hose attached to this# unit inserted down the toilet into the black tank will flush off the walls and sensors, probably better than the ice trick that only 'sometimes' gives good results with 1/2 tank of water and 20 lbs of ice or more.

#https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl...k+tank+flusher

OR
#https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...k+tank+flusher
Old 08-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #10

Oddly enough if you go to Walmart online the flexible Camco swivel spray is half the price it is on Amazon. It's $18 at Walmart with free delivery to a local store. It's $36 at Amazon. The straight one is the same price both places unfortunately because of course that's the one I need to get.

Liz