Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #1

Default Black tank plumbing

So one of the warranty repairs on my 2016 FF 233RBS was a repair of the black tank plumbing coming out of the underbelly. We took the FF out for a trial camp after the warranty work and discovered that not only did they not fix the small leak, but, worse, the 3" ABS plumbing is cracked and leaked even more! I can't be arsed to take it 2 hours back to the warranty shop and leave it for a month and I want it repaired properly, so I'm fixing it myself.

However, I can't find the 3" ABS male to male coupling that connects to the output of the black tank. It looks like one end is a regular male push pipe fitting which is cemented into the 90 degree elbow but the end that connects to the black tank is a non-cement push fitting with an o-ring on it. There are then two hose clamps that clamp around the outside of the black tank output with this coupling inside it. Here's a couple photos of the coupling - the white goop was an attempt by the warranty repairers to prevent leaks.

The whole plumbing assembly
Close-up of just the o-ring coupling

Anyone know where I might get this o-ring coupling from?

If I can't find the proper coupling, I was thinking of just cutting a piece of 3" pipe and using it between the 90 degree elbow (with cement) and the black tank female (with the hose clamps) and seeing if it holds water. Not ideal, but I can't think of anything else if I can't get a new o-ring coupling.

Cheers
Simon

AnimalHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Not sure if this is the part you are seeking .. but they have many others.

ABS Adapter Sleeve, 3"

Oopps, notice they are out of stock right now

??

BUT ARE AVAILABLE HERE:
http://www.adventurerv.net/abs-adapt...ve-p-8918.html

Old 04-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Thanks. Afraid I need a male to male coupler with an o-ring on one end - basically a piece of 3" pipe with an o-ring one end. I've looked at all those fittings on that site and all the Valterra ones and can't find anything the same as I have on there already.

Cheers
Simon
Old 04-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Not familiar with that type of fitting into the discharge port of the abs black water tank. Thought they all used a slip fitting glued into the black water tank.

IF you sell dealer or any rv dealer can't assist, perhaps a call direct to Cruiser RV customer service ??
Old 04-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #5

Thanks Eagle. Yeah that's my next stop after I've spoken to the warranty dealer. Also, I've had another look at it and it's actually a female push fitting on the 90 degree elbow end and then the o-ring male fitting on the other end. I've done a fair amount of plumbing in my time and I've never seen an ABS couple like this. Pretty unusual.

I could cement a 3" pipe into the end of the black tank, but then if the plumbing cracks again (not unlikely since it hangs low off the back of the trailer) then I want to be able to replace the plumbing without having to replace the black tank. I might look at permanently installing a screw thread fitting to the black tank and re-jigging my plumbing to make it fit though.

Cheers
Simon
Old 04-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

I've just taken another look at it all and I'm gonna cement a short piece of pipe to the black tank outlet and then a male thread onto that. I might have to use a regular 90 degree elbow rather than long sweep elbow, but that'll enable me to cut off and unscrew the plumbing if it cracks again - of course I'll have to make sure my joints from the male thread to the black tank outlet are solid, but I think this'll work if I can't find the right o-ring fitting.

Cheers
Simon
Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

I've plumbed ABS sewage lines on many homes and never seen such a fitting.

I did find this site with a style of tank fitting I'm not familiar with: a Uniseal slip fitting for waste storage tank used on many brands of RV's ??

Uniseal Slip Fittings For Sale
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

Interesting. My black tank has a 3" female output so I can't see how the uniseal fitting would work. Hopefully the dealer will call me back tomorrow and, failing that, I'll call Cruiser RV and then, likely, end up re-plumbing it all myself since neither of them will have clue ha ha!

Cheers
Simon
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #9

Why is it that RV Manufactures use so many unusual fittings? Not just plumbing, they also use unusual electrical components. They should be using items that you can buy at a local hardware store.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHungry View Post
Interesting. My black tank has a 3" female output so I can't see how the uniseal fitting would work. Hopefully the dealer will call me back tomorrow and, failing that, I'll call Cruiser RV and then, likely, end up re-plumbing it all myself since neither of them will have clue ha ha!

Cheers
Simon
Best in your venture and learning experience
Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Why is it that RV Manufactures use so many unusual fittings? Not just plumbing, they also use unusual electrical components. They should be using items that you can buy at a local hardware store.
It's the same in many mfg products or sure seems so. I believe it's to eliminate the 'home repair' ability and force consumers of their products to return to dealerships aka a captive market. :-O
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #12

Thanks! I'll post when I've fixed it

Cheers
Simon