Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #1

Default Black tank yukkies

Being new to the world of "black tanks" and such, I can't say I'm excatly looking forward ot it all. :=) That being said, I am a tad confused about all the choices...seems I can blow it out with gravity, flush it out, or grind and whoosh it out ...each level getting more expensive re: the equipment. I want it fairly easy and as little smelly as possible in sight.

Any recommendations? This Sat I'm driving past Winchester Va on the way up to Martinsburg,WV and can stop in Camping World and Gander's. I'm definitely thinking of getting the BAL wheel leveler....any flushing accessories that you think I should look into??
Susan in VA

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #2

Just so you know, you should only use gravity to empty the tanks. When you have a blockage is when you will need a flush king or tornado rinser. These tools are basically used to clean the tank, not to drain the tank.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #3

Default Flushing Black Tank

By and large a pretty straightforward operation. Leave your tank levers "closed" when parked and using trailer. Tanks empty best when they are full. Pull black first, then gray to flush out. I use a flashlite to peer into the toilet with flush open to ensure black is empty. Occasionally a residue of something will remain and your tank indicator will register partly full when really empty. I use a black tank wand that you can buy for under $20.00. Use a separate hose from your water hose, attach to tap, put the wand on the business end, put it down the toilet and turn the water on. The wand reaches all areas of the tank and will drive what is left out the outlet.

For a reasonable amount of money, you can purchase a fitting that goes into the side of the blackwater tank after you drill a hole for it. This can be purchased at most RV stores. A spray nozzle on this fitting is inside the tank. You simply attach a hose, turn the water on and your tank gets a good spray action. This is much more convenient than the "wand down the toilet" routine, and I intend to get one myself asap.

Happy Flushing,

Ian Parsons
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Van

I would also suggest a clear waste line extension. While not fun to watch, it will let you know when your black and grey tanks have emptied.

Something like this...

http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/product...oducts_id=6770

They come in various lengths and some can be clamped or they just snap into place.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #5

thanks to all..I am getting to understand this a bit more. I did get the orange (Rhinoflex??can't remember name) system on Sunday, and instead of the hose to clean out the tank, splurged on the Flush King.

To say that I am not 'chomping on the bit' to try these two thingees out would be a gROSS exaggeration!

Thanks for the help! While hte holes in the tanks to spray (what if it breaks down?) and the mechanisms that chop the poop fine enuf to drain in a garden hose sound interesting, the prices seem a wee tad high. I'll try just draining it normally first.
Susan in Va

(ain't it a shame there aren't "poop stations" where you could just pay an attendant to do all this??)

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #6

Default black water

Aww well, I can remember feeling the same way about forty years and 10 RV's ago. It doesn't take long until the whole operation is very routine. It does not have to be GROSS if you go about it in a systematic way, wear rubber gloves, and keep everything you use for the the operation in a separate place from all the rest of the toys.

Just think of it as one gigantic FLUSH!!!!

Happy Trails,

Ian Parsons

flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote