Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Default Black water Vent issue

This week end I went to replace the black water tank vent cover, because the "hat" was missing. The area around the a the vent tube was full of dirt. I noticed some deformation towards the curbside of the roof, as you can see in one of the attached picture. The roof area around on under the vent cover was not sealed as you can see in 1of the pictures. The deformation seems to be from water getting under the roof covering. By feeling the area it seem the roof cover is still attached to the top layer of plywood and bond between the plywood layers has failed because of the water intrusion from the vent area! The vinyl roofhas not been conpermized. I have come up with 2 possible ways to address the deformation. 1. Install a piece of stiff vinyl over the area. 2. Inject some wood glue in the area, then apply some weight while the glue sets up. I guess a 3 thing would be to do nothing, just monter the area.
I am the new owner of the unit model 2011 X210WBS
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171124_130434.jpg   IMG_20171124_130435.jpg   IMG_20171124_130625.jpg  

Buffalobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
Site Team

It's hard to tell from the photos, but if you can get wood glue into the plywood that's deformed I would go with option 2. That would strengthen the damaged plywood while keeping the roof covering in tact. Once that cures then you can seal it up properly.
Good thing you caught it before it got really bad.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #3

Since you are replacing the vent 'hat' ~ there are many styles to choose from.

I replaced the standard factory 'hat' with this style:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/360-S...-p/31-0230.htm
Old 11-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

Looks like that area may have been by worked on before judging from the sloppy sealing job. As for glue I would recommend slow cure epoxy over wood glue. It will give you superior adhesion and durability. Good luck
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
APD

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Looks like that area may have been by worked on before judging from the sloppy sealing job. As for glue I would recommend slow cure epoxy over wood glue. It will give you superior adhesion and durability. Good luck
I agree. Using Liquid Nails might be an option as well.
It's good you've caught it now.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
TCP

Make sure your new vent is sealed using Dicor Lap Sealant White RV Camper Rubber Roof Repair Self Leveling 502LSW. Using it liberally will prevent new leaks.
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Part of the problem with that is the hole in the roof is too close to the edge. So they had to cut part of the flange off to make it fit. Normally the flanged surface provides a big part of the seal. That's probably why the sealing job looks so sloppy. You will definitely need to build up a lot of sealant on the edge.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote