Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Default Bracing upper bunks

Has anyone added extra support bracing to front upper bunk in a 160? I'm thinking maybe 2x2 posts at the front corners that wouldn't affect sleepers in the lower bunk and running a 2x4 between them the length of the bunk. Or maybe a ladder that could also add support. I'm 190 lbs and the bunk is rated for 210, but I need to throw a gear bag up there with me.

Or does anyone know the weight rating of the rear upper bunk in a 160?

Thanks,

GeorgieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:36 PM   #2

From my investigations on my 189FBR, there is no way the original bunk could support 200 pounds.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

I'm happy to report the front, upper bunk in a 160 will support a 190-ish lb. person without breaking! The only problems I had up there were the thin mattress and little headroom. To be on the safe side I stowed my gear bag elsewhere, so it was just me in the bunk.
GeorgieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #4

I have a 210 with the front bunk. I put aluminum angle on the bottom ( non folding) part and the same on both top and bottom of the folding part. They set on the angle iron (aluminum) that is mounted to the side walls when lowered. I have a teenager that sleeps up there and I didn't like the thought of him being over my head. The metal took all the bow out of the decks. I also put 4 larger hinges to distribute the weight.
Prodigy 3
mykidsrv is offline   Reply With Quote