Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Default Brake light melted

Hey guys,

I just recently bought a 2010 210WBS and noticed that after running the hot water heater in gas mode that my right brake light began melting. Has anyone else ever had this issue? Seems like pretty common sense thing not to place a plastic brake light over the hot water heater vent or vice-versa.

Could this be a problem with my hot water heater thermo-coupling? or something else? Check out the pics below..

AtlantaCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

I had an '08 210WBS that I updated the Command Electric tail lights on to the same model of LED that came with yours...never had an issue with the exhaust from the water heater even coming close to being hot enough to melt that tail light. I would have to guess that there is an issue with your water heater's burner controls (could just be a mixture setting). I'd have the heater looked at if you don't feel confident in troubleshooting it yourself.

Additionally, just in case; it would be easy enough to fabricate a heat shield for the bottom of the light. You could even use aluminum flashing and glue it to the bottom of the light with RTV high heat sealant leaving air spaces for insulating... My guess though, is that you have a heater issue and once resolved, the light should be "safe" again. I would also bring it to the attention of CruiserRV; they may have a heat shield kit or may want to come up with a heat shield for the future or maybe even just move the tail light up a bit on new models. I wouldn't expect them to do anything for you since you are probably out of warranty, but, I found the company "willing" to listen to suggestions for improvements.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

Well I figured it out. After some quick troubleshooting I found a nest of what we call dirtdobbers in the south had been set up just past the burner. After removing a few screws I was able to get the thing out. Check out the pics. I wish I had taken one showing what the flame looked like before I discovered the nest.

AtlantaCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #4

Yep... That will do it, for sure. I actually thought you'd find spiders; that is certainly a "good sized" dauber nest. It's a wonder the heater even fired up and certainly no wonder it ran hot.

I'm a firm believer in the bug screen attachments; have them for the water heater, furnace and refrigerator. The mud daubers like those places as well as other flying "critters" and spiders (spiders really like the "smell" of propane). We have the daubers, but, around here the Asian Lady Bugs are the worst...they crawl in those places to over-winter, but, half of them die there leaving their little carcasses to clog things up...

Glad you got it figured out; shame about the light, but, at least from the pictures, it doesn't look like the filon was damaged.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote