Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #1

Default Brakelight fuse

Before my final camping trip of the season, I, or course, checked all the lights; brakelights, turn signals, etc... It all worked.

At the campsite, before heading home, I discovered the left brakelight did NOT work.

We drove to a Shell station near the campground and bought a new light. It did NOT work.

I think it may be the fuse. It was daytime, so I drove extra-careful and made it home okay.

It is a FF X139, the smallest. There are fuses on the bottom of the back wall of the trailer. The trouble is, which fuse is it? The old owner labeled the fuses, but I could find none for the brakelight. Or is there another location of fuses for the exterior lights that power from the tow vehicle?

How many AMPS would this fuse be?

Any ideas?

paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #2

The brake lights are controlled directly from your tow vehicle (TV). I would check your connection at the TV. These wires go back to your lights and brakes. These connections often get corroded, so you could try some to look at that. You could also try to follow your wires back and ensure they are still in tack. Not that they got damaged along the way. A meter really comes in handy here. Measure your voltage at the TV at the connector with and without the brake pressed. Then follow things back. If there are connetions along the way have a look. I am assuming that the bulbs of course are working. Are both brake lights not working? Are the turn signals working? This would tell you the bulbs are OK and there are no grounding issues. I believe the connections on your TV come from your brake controller. That is also a place to look. Is the led on your brake controller when you step on the brakes? Check it's fuse, or connections.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #3

Any more ideas on this?

My neighbor said it might be real easy, or might be a real pain.

It's not the bulb. I bought a new one, and still had the same problem.

The right side works, the left side doesn't.

I didn't see any fuses labeled braklights. The fusebox is below the closet in the rear of the trailer.

This is a FF X139, the smallest.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #4

Default Re: Brakelight fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitzlee2
Before my final camping trip of the season, I, or course, checked all the lights; brakelights, turn signals, etc... It all worked.

At the campsite, before heading home, I discovered the left brakelight did NOT work.

We drove to a Shell station near the campground and bought a new light. It did NOT work.

I think it may be the fuse. It was daytime, so I drove extra-careful and made it home okay.

It is a FF X139, the smallest. There are fuses on the bottom of the back wall of the trailer. The trouble is, which fuse is it? The old owner labeled the fuses, but I could find none for the brakelight. Or is there another location of fuses for the exterior lights that power from the tow vehicle?

How many AMPS would this fuse be?

Any ideas?
Its your connector on the trailer one of your terminals has gotten nasty my left brake light was going out all the time they sell a terminal cleaner brush at camping world clean it up and then for a cheap fix I have a prescription pill bottle that fits over the plug and when im not plugged into my truck i slip that bottle over the plug to keep out the water and junk.
queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #5

That was the problem!

The connector from the trailer had a little mud in some of the holes. I took a screwdriver, took the crap out, and now it works like a charm.

Maybe I'll use a sandwich bag or plastic grocery bag wrapped with a rubber band to keep it clean from now on.

The mystery to me is why it worked on my way TO the campsite, when the trailer was parked on dirt at my house, and didn't work on my way FROM the PAVED campsite.

Thanks everyone!!!