Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #1

Default Bunk Bed removal

Hi

I have a FBR18 and want to remove the bunk/cabinet. Has anyone done this?

I still need to measure to see if I can remove the bunk from the camper. I would like to remove the bunk in one piece so I can reinstall it when I sell it or trade it in. From what I can see all I need to do is remove the valance over both windows then remove the screws from the bunk that are in the steel L brackets. I would plan to leave the steel L brackets in place and finally replace the window valances. I have to remove the valances to get to all the scews.

What do you all think?

Oh BTW the reason I am removing the bunk has to do with the big bump on my head from this weekend.

mbraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #2

Default Yep -- yank that bunk bed!

We removed ours and replaced it with a cargo net for our bedding -- I am attempting to post a link to my blog, below, with some pictures -- not sure if the link will work. But to remove the bunk bed, just unscrew the hinges. It helps to have two people to remove it -- just tilt it on its side to get it out of the trailer. Here is the link -- if it does not work, just paste the address into your browser:

http://lookmomimcamping.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Default quick update

I was able to remove the bunk in one piece thru the fire escape window. It took about 45 minutes. Most of the time was spent removing and reinstalling the valences and shades. It was easy and yes you will need 2 people ... not for the weight but for the size of the bunk. I did leave the steel l brackes in place and they do not look bad and they are not in the way. We go camping wthis weekend and are looking forward to not bumping our heads
mbraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

Default The L brackets are useful

Those brackets are handy - - they can be used to anchor other modifications. Our cargo net is attached to them, and our blackout curtains hang down from them. It is very easy to round off the sharp corners of the brackets with a flat file or even a random orbital sander, and it is fairly easy to drill holes in the brackets if needed. I think they are aluminum, if I recall correctly. Steel is much harder to drill through.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote