Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 06:44 AM   #1

Default Bunk bed window bracket

Hi !

I'm trying to install an homemade bunk bed in my x139 exactily like the factory one . I wondering where I can screw the brackets over the 2 side windows ? I used a stud detector to find some wood in the wall but can't find anything that make sense !

Thanks for you help !

davbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #2

Somewhere around 2008 Cruiser switched to aluminum framing -- not sure if a stud finder will find them.

In my 2012 X-139, whenever I have wanted to attach anything heavy to the walls, I have used spiral plastic wall anchors. You drill a pilot hole and insert the wall anchor. This device is usually used for drywall in a house, but it works pretty well for our styrofoam walls -- the anchor spreads the load over a wider area than a typical molly anchor does.

One note of caution, though -- actually two notes. Don't drill a pilot hole that is too wide. And make sure that the drill bit does not go through the outside wall of the trailer. Mark the desired depth on the drill bit with a little flag of masking tape and stop when the hole is just deep enough.

Don't ask how I learned that little trick.

Here is a link to the wall anchors:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/E-Z-Ancor-6...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 08-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

One more thought -- if the spiral anchor is too long, just cut off the pointy end with a hacksaw. Then use an intact anchor to prepare the hole, remove it, and put in the truncated anchor.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #4

thank you ! I 'll try this for sure !!!
davbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #5

Yet another thought popped into my head, for no reason: first, attach a good sized piece of plywood to the wall with several screws, using the spiral anchors to distribute the load above and below the load point.

Then, attach a piece of perforated steel angle to the plywood. The base of the bed will rest on the horizontal surface of the angle bracket.

This method, although not the prettiest thing in the world, will ensure that the load of the occupant in the bunk bed will be widely distributed, so that the "pounds per screw" will be minimized.

Also, and you probably already know this, the original bunk beds had a load limit of 140 pounds.

Finally, once you install the bunk, test it with big cinder blocks, piled one at a time onto the bunk. Weigh the blocks first. If you reach the weight of the intended occupant without structural failure, stop right there and declare victory!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #6

Default Bunk Bed Bracket

Hi. My 2007 139 has the original bunk bed brackets located as in the picture here if I can get it to post. Before I bought it somebody had done away with half of the bunk so now it is just used as a shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
20200823_181702_resized.jpg  

Willky is offline   Reply With Quote