Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #1

Default Changing Flats

Hi all,
I have a 210wbs and was wondering about using a bottle jack to lift
trailer to change flat. Can i place bottle jack on frame area close to tire that is flat. Dont want to twist frame. Also would like to spin tires from time to time to prevent flat spots, by using jack to lift trailer.
Appreciate your suggestions.

Arkie21

arkie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

Default Changing flats

I have a 07 189FFx and have had to change only one flat
I used a small wheeled garage jack under the flat spot on the spring near the wheel.
I used to use a bottle jack until it fell over.
I have the the 14 inch aluminum wheels and needed to go get a thin wall
impact socket to get the off.
If any body reads this,I would like to know the best place to put a 12v turnoff switch.I do not have one.

RWDIII

RWD lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #3

Default Changing Flats

Thanks RWD lll

I used the area close to where spring hangers attach to frame, using a 2x4 to spread out contact surface of bottle jack, but i had to jack frame up a lot to get each tire off ground. Going to do this from time to time to prevent flat spots. Just wondered how everyone else did flat tire changes. thanks for the info. By the way, my trailer has the 12v turnoff switch in pass through storage area in front of trailer. Just a push-pull switch. I am probably going to forget to turn it off one day and wish i hadn't. Oh well, cant have it all. lol
Have a great day.
arkie 21
Old 10-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Van

I always use a spot on the axle itself. If you lift the frame you are going to have a lot of wheel travel before you get the tire off the ground. It is my opinion that there isnt enough force or lift distance involved to damage the frame when you are just swapping out a tire. Just imo though....
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Site Team

I haven't tried this yet on this trailer, but on my boat trailer I jack under the axle as close as possible to where it attaches to the frame. Like Van said, otherwise you have to jack it up pretty high before the tire comes off the ground. And the weight of the trailer rests on that point anyway.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #6

Default Changing Flats

Thanks Van and LJAZ

For your advice about where to place jacks on axle to change tires, and it makes sense to place jack as close to tire as possible, cause thats where the weight of the trailer is anyway. Plus not having to lift as high, as jacking on the frame does. Will use your recommendations. Really appreciate your info.

Thanks
Arkie21