Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Default charging the battery in my FF 160

Hello all,
The wife and i just got back from a fantastic (dry) camping adventure at Death Valley. We camped in Stovepipe Wells, which has no hookups. On the fourth day, my battery indicator light was low in the trailer, so I cranked up my Yamaha 2000 watt generator and plugged the power cord from the trailer into the generator. I ran it for an hour and my battery showed fully charged. Naturally it wasn't, in fact it only seemed to charge it enough for one night.

A fellow trailer camper remarked to me that the battery would charge better and faster if i plugged the generator (which has an 8 amp 12 volt outlet) via the dc cords (supplied with the generator) directly onto the battery terminals instead of using the shore cord. Anyone know anything about this? I've searched the internet and can't seem to find clear info one way or the other.
thanks, donkris

donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #2

Do you have the single battery or double? I also have a 160 with the double battery set up. We normally only go where we at least have electric hook-ups so I've been curious on how much life I would get out of my duel battery set-up. I know it mainly depends on usage, of course.

aubbenslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

I have the single battery, wasn't aware that the 160 came with a double battery set up.
donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #4

It is pretty easy to get set up. It's just bracket that mounts on the tounge to fit the two batteries. There is a way to wire them so they drain together and you won't have to switch them.

How was death valley? We live in Vegas so that is a short trip for us.
aubbenslv is offline   Reply With Quote